PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
I’ve been sitting on this pipe for maybe 15 years. I don’t even remember where it came from. On the side is stamped the worlds “Maine Pipe Smoker.“ I did buy it somewhere in Maine.

The weird thing about this one is that the bowl gets very hot no matter slow you smoke it. And even though it’s hot, very little smoke comes out. The smoke is not too hot for some reason

I have five or six other ones and none of the rest do this.

I’ve smoked aromatics, dried my tobacco, Virginias and everything in between. It does the same thing no matter what.

What’s wrong?

Attachments

• 759E5FCE-6BC1-43A1-A394-A9BC22AE4F64.jpeg
    759E5FCE-6BC1-43A1-A394-A9BC22AE4F64.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Love
Reactions: Latakia Dave

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
No stinger. That's a very odd problem you have.
Have you tried blowing through the pipe when it is asswmbled and empty and feeling the air flow when it is together and compare it to each part individually while separated?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
It's hard to tell how much cake you've built up. My guess would be to build a good cake in the bowl and see if that helps. I've had pipes that smoke hot regardless of what I tried. Wish you luck, that's a good-looking pipe.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Due to the shape, the wood is pretty thin at the top, so that area would certainly get warm. Seems thick in the middle though. If the bowl is drilled too deep then you'd get alot of heat at the bottom of the bowl also. Might be best off holding it by the thick ridge in the center. Maybe it's your new yard/camping pipe.

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Due to the shape, the wood is pretty thin at the top, so that area would certainly get warm. Seems thick in the middle though. If the bowl is drilled too deep then you'd get alot of heat at the bottom of the bowl also. Might be best off holding it by the thick ridge in the center. Maybe it's your new yard/camping pipe.
Yep. Every Armada needs a garbage scow.

• Haha
Reactions: romaso and jpmcwjr