PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Charatan 99
This is what I bought. I made an offer and the buyer accepted, which was not the price shown in the listing. The buyer was very helpful and patient with me as I asked a number of questions. My biggest concern was about the drilling as the shank looked off center to me in some of the pictures. The seller sent additional photos of the drilling and assured me it was drilled properly and that the slight off centering of the shank to the bowl was less obvious in person and most likely a grain alignment thing. I currently have affinity for smaller sized straight billiards and I don't see a lot of them made by Charatan. I thought it was maybe made on the cusp of the Reuben and Lane eras, maybe 1960, but the seller provided a well written description as to why he felt it was probably closer to mid-50's. It's hard to tell which is why he chose to list it using the pre-war/early post-war descriptor.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Gorgeous pipe! Definitely looks pre-Lane. I had 3 of those come through my hands a while back. Kinda wished I had kept all three now. The Supreme and Selected were downright awesome. I kept the Special 211, a big bent billiard with stunning bird's-eye. Smokes great too.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'm late to this thread...............

I don't know what you call that stage of PAD, but HOT DAMN! That is one SWEET pipe!.....

Billiards are my favorite shape, and that is a classic. The grain is stunning, and the size is spot on. Unusual I'd say for a Charatan, as they are often rather large. 30 grams, and that GRAIN!.......... :worship:

Please start a separate post when you get it in hand, I'd love to hear Ken's take on this one. Well done, That's a pipe for the ages IMO........... :puffy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
A classic straight billiard is my idea of what a pipe is supposed to look like.
I fully understand your fascination with that classic beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.