PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gregk

Lurker
Sep 10, 2022
Hey Guys!

This is my first post! My son just returned from a trip to Europe and he picked up this strange pipe in Portugal. The antique dealer said he thought it was African origin.

1. What kind of a pipe is this? And what is it's origin?

2. How do I restore it? You can see that the pipe shank was drilled in two pieces. I cannot get a pipe cleaner through the hole and have it turn the corner. It's been smoked, but I don't think it's ever been cleaned due to the difficulty in running anything through the bend. The draw is very tight due to being mostly gummed up.

3. Is it destined to just be a shelf piece? lol.

Thanks much!
~g

Attachments

• IMG_6045.JPG
    IMG_6045.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6046.JPG
    IMG_6046.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6047.JPG
    IMG_6047.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 51
  • Wow
Reactions: tklee and Chaukisch

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
Hey Guys!

This is my first post! My son just returned from a trip to Europe and he picked up this strange pipe in Portugal. The antique dealer said he thought it was African origin.

1. What kind of a pipe is this? And what is it's origin?

2. How do I restore it? You can see that the pipe shank was drilled in two pieces. I cannot get a pipe cleaner through the hole and have it turn the corner. It's been smoked, but I don't think it's ever been cleaned due to the difficulty in running anything through the bend. The draw is very tight due to being mostly gummed up.

3. Is it destined to just be a shelf piece? lol.

Thanks much!
~g
Ummm....:rolleyes:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I suspect that shank separates from the pipe at the second joint but I wouldn't want to break it. Try running some hot/warm water through it to start. Maybe the salt and alcohol method (check youtube) for bowl. It looks like african darkwood which is one of the hardest and most dense in the world; perhaps like morta ??? Or send it out for restoration and let them figure it out ! :ROFLMAO:

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You could certainly clean it, but how would you do that on a regular basis to smoke it? I don't think it's worth the bother except as a conversation piece. It's poorly designed and not worth the effort.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's kind of like a Tyrolean pipe I have in that it's got multiple joints in the shank.
Any bent pipe is typically a little more difficult to maintain. As long as you can keep an airway, and reasonably goop free, I see no reason why this couldn't be used. I think it's foldable for a vest pocket?

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I've never seen a pipe shaped like that, it looks amazing!
Like a rune you'd carve in stone. But as other members already said, that can't be fun to clean
and especially not regularly. Maybe with pressured air...
I'd put it in a special place as a decoration piece. I know I'd love to pick it up every now and then to adore it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Shelf piece!

I'd wash the exterior with warm water and detergent if needed. Dry, then apply a coating of mineral oil. Place on pipe holder on shelf.

Reactions: Browny