What Is The Most Out Of Production Tobacco In Your Collection?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Bought a couple of these tins from Steve F. a few years ago and I'm glad I rolled the dice. Best guess is 70's, maybe early 80's. One is jarred up and I smoke it sparingly. Strong tin note of gingerbread/molasses which comes through just as strongly in the pipe. A very unique and enjoyable flavor. If anyone can help with dating these tins I would much appreciate it.
IMG_1374.jpgIMG_1375.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Bought a couple of these tins from Steve F. a few years ago and I'm glad I rolled the dice. Best guess is 70's, maybe early 80's. One is jarred up and I smoke it sparingly. Strong tin note of gingerbread/molasses which comes through just as strongly in the pipe. A very unique and enjoyable flavor. If anyone can help with dating these tins I would much appreciate it.
View attachment 108987View attachment 108988
It definitely sounds like it has been “long matured”!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
The defunct blend I've got the most of is Carey's Dark Flake #7. Thankfully Carey's gave their customers a 'heads up' that they were closing & I was able to stock up. With most other discontinued blends over the last 20 years the customer was always the last to know.?
I suppose the most obscure blend I've got is Eicken's Navy Cut. A 'Teutonic Take' of the old Player's Navy Flakes. I'm the only one I know who's smoked it!
image.jpeg

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
The blend that got you wondering about out of productions blends isn't out of production, the tin label is.

As for actual out of production blends, off the top of my head

McClelland: 40th Anniversary, McCranies Red Ribbon and Red Flake, Tudor Castle, various Christmas Cheers going back to the '90's, 22, 24, 25, 27, 35 stave aged, Dark Star, Blackwoods Flake, Virginia Woods, Deep Hollow, Red and Black, etc, etc.

GL Pease - Raven's Wing, Bohemian Scandal, Renaissance.

Murray's - Elizabethan Mixture

MacBaren - Modern Virginia

Motzek - Strang (yes I know the new owner released something claiming to be Strang, but he's botched it)

A & C Petersen - Escudo (yes I know there's a tin bearing that name, but the contents ain't Escudo)

Brigham - Klondike Gold, and a few other Brigham blends

Warrior Plug

Mick McQuaid

Highland Sliced

HH Acadian Perique and Vintage Syrian

McConnell Blending Syrian Latakia

There's a few more items, but I don't remember what they are.
The brigham stuff is still available in Canada under the name 'Legends'. Maybe they have changed the blends though.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The defunct blend I've got the most of is Carey's Dark Flake #7. Thankfully Carey's gave their customers a 'heads up' that they were closing & I was able to stock up. With most other discontinued blends over the last 20 years the customer was always the last to know.?
I suppose the most obscure blend I've got is Eicken's Navy Cut. A 'Teutonic Take' of the old Player's Navy Flakes. I'm the only one I know who's smoked it!
View attachment 108999
Simon do they still make that stuff. The tins look awfully familiar!

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I think I remember hearing their blends were done by McConells for them, when McConells were still going in the UK.
thanks simon,I have not read anything re where the blends came from.
I just remember when my now wife worked in london she would get sent to Smiths with a shopping list of snuff from my friends in Ipswich

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My list of discontinued blends is not very long but it is pretty deep.
2012 Rotary Navy Cut- over 150 tins
2013 Brigham Klondike Gold- over 150 tins
2017 Butera Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved- 140 tins
2011 and 2012 Dunhill Flake over 100 tins
2012 and 2011 Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls over 100 tins.

I personally prefer having my discontinued blends to be real deep. I have no use for discontinued blends that are not real deep.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
none something in me makes me smoke anything not in production straight through.
G Smith were a renouned tobacconist in Charring Cross Road,London who closed around 2012,they used to have a fantastic range of snuff as well.
i dont know if they blended their own label tins or had it produced for them by another company

the snuff was made by Wilson of Sharrow at least for a decent amount of time. Might have been someone else before.

Reactions: paulfg

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
MB ODF Plug
Wasn’t that a one-off promotional release? Would to get my hands on some, including considering its age now. The annoying thing is that where there is a flake there will be a plug preceding it so in theory that should be possible to have. Then again I don’t recall where I read it, maybe on Arno’s Dutch Pipe Smoker blog talking about the Dutch forum tobaccos, but apparently once production is streamlined for eg a flake, it’s a major pain in the ass to sell in plug format, including due to wastage.

Reactions: hawky454

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
none something in me makes me smoke anything not in production straight through

the snuff was made by Wilson of Sharrow at least for a decent amount of time. Might have been someone else before.
Smiths themselves wasn't it? There's a lovely short film on British Pathe of Smiths shop in the 50's/60's.....pretty sure they were blending their own snuff 'in house'.