PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Considering Balkan isn't a real blend type but a marketing tool, any of them you choose.
It is strange in that “Balkan” is thrown around a lot. I‘ve tried to read up on it as well as “Scottish“ and “Oriental”blends seems kind of brand sensitive too. Wish there were more consistency I smoked some c&d super Balkan today for the first time and the Lat was way in back and my everyday crumble cake English #1 is Balkan style English with Lat in the foreground and a SPC Balkan blend is Lat leading the charge sooooooooo?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It is strange in that “Balkan” is thrown around a lot. I‘ve tried to read up on it as well as “Scottish“ and “Oriental”blends seems kind of brand sensitive too. Wish there were more consistency I smoked some c&d super Balkan today for the first time and the Lat was way in back and my everyday crumble cake English #1 is Balkan style English with Lat in the foreground and a SPC Balkan blend is Lat leading the charge sooooooooo?
It's just a word used to liken blends to the old Balkan Sobranie that itself was an English. I know the Oriental blends I smoke are Orientals just due to the fact that that is all that's in them.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Balkan is just a nice short-hand label for latakia blends where the oriental component is purportedly equal to or exceeds the lat. That still allows for quite a latitude in %'s of latakia. Now that I'm back into latakia blends, am smoking Balkan and really digging BS 759 match because of the dark fired in it. I'm also a regular smoker of C&D Oriental Silk which is an oriental VaPer. Not many of those blends around but those would be the types of blends I'd consider oriental blends.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Balkan Sasieni is my choice it’s different from all the others I have tried.I think it’s the Macedonian leaf that makes it special for me.Not sold in bulk on SP unfortunately.

Jun 23, 2019
I've tried quite a few, to include Sasieni Balkan and Arango Balkan Supreme.

Which is the best?

Hey guys, I got a cheeseburger with american and a cheeseburger with monterrey jack.

Which is the best?

- - -

Taste is a personal preference, the best one will be the one you like best.

Personally, I prefer the Balkan Supreme, the cavendish balances out the 'sour notes' better. Sasieni leans too sour for me.