PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I feel that I can throw my Castellos in my bag and pull it out later and smoke it.

My Dunhills, I feel, need a pillow during the day. I'll maybe use a small box to keep them from getting smacked.

That's why I am looking at selling my Dunhills in order to focus on fewer pipes and let them be Castello's and Radici.

Reactions: RobertLeslie75

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Well, while were showing our hand, I should show mine.

I like to do things in pairs:
Sea Rock Straight Apple KKs
PXL_20211118_193335438.PORTRAIT.jpg

Smooth petite-apple billiards KKs
PXL_20211118_193401122.PORTRAIT.jpg

Antiquari brown and red petite apple-billiards KKs
PXL_20211118_193418619.PORTRAIT.jpg

Although RADICE, they are included for the geographical and stylistic relations.
Nose warmer straight apples
PXL_20211118_193440882.PORTRAIT.jpg

I like them a lot.

My favorite smokers are the four petite-apple billiards. Small, sturdy, and great for slip in a shirt pocket

RobertLeslie75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
Charlotte, NC
www.youtube.com
Well, while were showing our hand, I should show mine.

I like to do things in pairs:
Sea Rock Straight Apple KKs
View attachment 109659

Smooth petite-apple billiards KKs
View attachment 109660

Antiquari brown and red petite apple-billiards KKs
View attachment 109661

Although RADICE, they are included for the geographical and stylistic relations.
Nose warmer straight apples
View attachment 109663

I like them a lot.

My favorite smokers are the four petite-apple billiards. Small, sturdy, and great for slip in a shirt pocket
I also like the smaller pipes. Sea rock kk size

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
FYI, the "K" codes on Castellos are not an indicator of size. They are there to tell the dealer what price they have to pay of the pipe. A K is cheapest and a KKKK is a lot more. Of course, size is a factor in pricing. puffy
Umm, this is a contentious subject. While the K's do represent pricing, they also translate to size and grain on the smooth pipes, at least in an ambiguous and debatable manner. A k billiard will almost always be small. A KK will be medium-small to medium, depending on the grain and pipe shape. Although this is from my experience, if you compare Castello pipe sizes on smoking pipes, you will find this to be the case. As with the other kkkkkkkkkks.....

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
How come two Castello Billard pipes can both weigh 25g but one is K and the other KK?
One is "castello" and the other is "collection". What is the difference?

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Collection grade pipes are two steps above "Castello", and I assume the Collection is the KK pipe. But they do seem to play fast and loose with sizes at times.
The mysteries of Castello.

How come two Castello Billard pipes can both weigh 25g but one is K and the other KK?
One is "castello" and the other is "collection". What is the difference?

Reactions: dunnyboy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Umm, this is a contentious subject. While the K's do represent pricing, they also translate to size and grain on the smooth pipes, at least in an ambiguous and debatable manner. A k billiard will almost always be small. A KK will be medium-small to medium, depending on the grain and pipe shape. Although this is from my experience, if you compare Castello pipe sizes on smoking pipes, you will find this to be the case. As with the other kkkkkkkkkks.....
The information I posted about the "K" on the Castello was told to me by the main Castello distributor at Novelli pipe shop in Rome back in the 90s. He was the guy who sold all the pipes from the factory to the dealers... so what did he know? nnnn

mike wheelock

Lurker
Mar 13, 2022
eastern washington
havent been smoking a pipe long enough to form an opinion one way or the other about the true smoking experience of different pipes. still trying to detect the taste of many different tobaccos that are out there. however i must say in defense of castello pipes they have some really cool looking pipes. dont know if they smoke any better than a savinelli or other italian pipes, but they do look cool. kind of a new smoker thing i guess. anyhow i have found this forum to be very fun and full of great information.

mike wheelock

Lurker
Mar 13, 2022
eastern washington
well now so much for personal taste and perspectives. i own 4 harleys. none of the same. have been to many sturgis/daytona bike week etc. hundreds of bikes and not a one that is the same. this speaks {in my opinion} to the vastly differing likes and dislikes of those who enjoy a particular endeavor. i think all of the above posts show just how much pipe smokers love their pipes and tobacco and are willing to see the other side of the conversation. this forum continues to be very much to my liking. keep it up.

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
I got my first Castello pretty recently. I had always wanted one but never pulled the trigger. If I'm being honest with myself beside the reputation of them being great smokers a lot of it was just because I wanted to own a Castello. Same thing with Dunhill. I didn't expect it to smoke better than any of the Stanwells I have and love. It does smoke wonderfully though and I have no regrets.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
I recently bought one of the boxwood stem billiards from smoking pipes. I paid 530 dollars. It shows up and is absolutely tiny in person. I feel quilt and shame. I think long about returning it. I thought for 2 weeks and then said you better just smoke it. Oh my word...while it's not a miraculous heavens harps playing while I smoke it kinf of deal but for a brand new pipe it smokes better than anything I've tried. The bare bowl and top shelf briar pay off I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.