What Is Meerschaum ?? And Do You Have One?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I have many meers, and in my life I've had over 100. There are huge variations in the smoking qualities of Meerschaums - and it's easy to get a loser, even if the brand is reputable. The five I have carved by F. Baki are outstanding in every way.

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
I have 3 Peterson Meers that smoke OK. It costs high dollar (pound) but worth it. In my humble opinion, all Turkish-made pipes are rubbish.
Still, even these pipes do not get enough love from me. Quality briar pipe is much better.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have 3 worth mentioning.
A CAO with a bad stem/tenon and two Peterson's. The CAO smokes good, I just don't find the pipe that interesting. One of the Petersons smokes fantastic (Turkish). I can't believe how smoothly tobacco burns in it. It tastes great. The other has a tight airway (African) that I'd need drill out and get a new stem and tenon made. Presently I'm not in a huge hurry to get it fixed when I have so many other pipes.
Still I think I nice bright green stem would look great with the black.
Maybe one day I'll buy myself a really nice new one but they aren't that high on my new pipe wish list. I would actually be more interested in getting a custom carved one made for myself.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Cigrmaster wrote:
I also never found them to smoke cooler than a quality briar pipe that was broken in and had a good cake.
Actually, I have to agree with that Harris. I have a Peterson Meer, a Kilimanjaro meer (and I forgot, a third, a Sommer from about 1910). All are fine quality and all smoke as hot as my briars. They are flavor-neutral though, which appeals to some.
All in all, even though I prefer briars - I think a meer is a must have in one's collection. They are also good if you don't have enough pipes in your rotation since they typically don't need as much rest.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I don't own a Meer yet, but I hope to someday. Thank you for the interesting discussion, gents.

Dec 24, 2012
Harris,
Could it be that you just have the wrong Meers. My Baki Meer has a very comfortable stem and easily passes a cleaner.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I like mine and it smokes well though I rarely smoke it.

I bought it just for the sake of having it.

Altinok_zps1fce1b2c.jpg

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I don't have one, mostly because I haven't found the right one. There was an African Meer for sale on briarbid that I wanted but just didn't have the funds for. Eventually another one I like will crop up.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have several, but only have smoked one so far. It's a claw and smokes very well, but then I'm still a noob.

The long one is quite lovely and 40 years old or so, but has virtually no draw, so it more decorative.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, that is a beauty. The only way I would buy another meer is if I can see it before buying and test the stem. Maybe if I see one at a pipe show one day I will think about it, but from what I know, I have never heard of a meer with vulcanite stems, so that would be a problem.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
It's funny but I've never bought a meer. Just never caught my interest. I'm a briar man through and through. And while I can appreciate the tastes of others, I just never caught the bug on meers.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I have 2 and both damage. Unfortunately I never took the time to learn how to care for them. Luckily they were inexpensive. I will save for a new one after I stock up on baccy. This time I know what I am doing.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi,
As i said in the same village you could mine "grade 3 block meerschaum" near the surface and "grade five block meerschaum" in the depth.Please ask for certificate of authenticity for any product.
this is my latest favorite pipe

lion.jpg

Regards,

B.B

Dec 24, 2012
I e-mailed Deniz ural to ask him what the stem on my Baki is made from. He said it is "ebonite/vulcanite". He then went on and said:
"The cost on these stems are app $10 higher than the acrylic. I order them from Germany to be shipped to

Turkey. Customs + taxes ..... It is quite a cumbersome task. All because Europe as well as the US buyers

are very keen to have their pipes with a cumberland mouth piece.
On the other hand I have received 3 comments/questions more so concerns about the ebonite and

inquiries about " oxidization". I have been selling the same mouth pieces over the past years and we

have mounted them on hundreds of our meerschaums. I have not had a single complaint that they

oxidize.
Being in this trade for 44 years I have seen many vulcanite bits on briars oxidized. I am not an expert

on the materials but the stems we use have not oxidized.
Hope this answers your question.
Thank you.

--

DENIZ URAL"

Status
Not open for further replies.