PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I just picked up an estate Sav -- a rusticated, paneled, saddle billiard -- marked "K.M. 1999"

I can find no information on the "K.M."

Do any of you know what this means? Was this a Sav line? Or could this be an Autograph and K.M. is the carver's initials?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Am I missing seeing the Savinelli stamp on the briar itself? I've never seen a Sav without the shield stamped on the briar also.

I even have a pipe made for Bayou Tobacco in Baton Rouge that was made by Savinelli and it has the Sav shield.

Reactions: SBC

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Am I missing seeing the Savinelli stamp on the briar itself? I've never seen a Sav without the shield stamped on the briar also.

I even have a pipe made for Bayou Tobacco in Baton Rouge that was made by Savinelli and it has the Sav shield.

I thought the same. It crossed my mind that this could be a Sav stem put on another stummel, but the more I look at it, I really don't think so. This appears to be their shape 506. Hmm...

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
You might consider dropping a line to Shane, sykes or Andy wike at SP as they are the US Distributor for Savinelli. Perhaps they could inquire for you. You could also email Savinelli itself and see if you get a reply.

I had thought of contacting Savinelli directly, but I didn't realize that SP is their US Distributor -- I'll start there if nobody else here knows more. Thanks!

I wish each pipe brand would publish a book, so that we could look up stuff like this. I would love a Stanwell book to see the pipes that Ivarson, Eltang, and etc.. all the greats had influence on. I know Pipedia and such, but that info is so brief. It would be nice to have insights into why decisions were made, influences on different lines and such. I think Books by Savinelli, Stanwell, and such would be great. I think Dunhill and Peterson have books. I need to get some of those as well.