PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I had a variety of tools that came from a pipe repair shop. I have absolutely no idea what this is- it has a label- Woolsey Pipes Arcadia, Ca...

Any ideas?
2zdxg6d.jpg

2ut11jc.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Looks to me that it is something you would clench your stem in, so that one can work on the pipe on a flat surface, bowl sitting upright. I guess some of the more experienced guys around here can provide more info ...

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Zack it look like a tubing ferrule tool, before the new tubing tools you clamped the tubing in, useing a expander you made a ferrule, don't know why the pipemaker had this, maybe he plumbed on the side. :puffy:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Nope- it's a tool actually sold by a pipe shop- Considering I found it in a box with some taps and dies, I'm guessing it's used to clamp a screw tenon so it can be screwed into a stem...or maybe to hold the tenon stock so it can be threaded...(Waiting for George to weigh in- he probably has a couple of them on his bench...)

Jun 27, 2016
Well, Brad is right. It's a swage block that you clamp metal tubing into, and then can flare it or swage it with other attachments.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
zack24:
Given what appear to be four different sized holes in this clamp, my best guess is that it is used on pipes whose stems are stuck in their shanks. The clamp could be applied to the outside of the shank in order to keep it from splitting, then the stem carefully removed. If, as oft may happen, the stem's tenon were to break off in the shank, then the clamp (still in place) could be used to hold the shank vertically plumb while the tenon is drilled out.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I haven't the slightest idea what it is, or could even be used for in a pipe repair shop. :lol:

Jun 27, 2016
I've actually used those things before. =)
https://www.ebay.com/p/Flaring-Swaging-Tool-Kit-With-Hand-Carrying-Case-Ft-275-by-Articco/4009497050?iid=262835838711

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
In the early 50s before the onslaught of plastic pipe I threaded pipe for a Simon plumber, no kin, after school I would thread what he needed for the next days work, do tubing too. Used the swage block a lot, nowadays plumbing is so easy and anyone can go to a home improvement store and do plumbing work. Funny annedote his wife chewed cigarettes, probably never had worms but she was a nervous so and so. :laughat:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I've used Swage Blocks also...but this has straight holes, not tapered holes....I'm going to figure out something incredibly cool to do with it, shoot a video, and leave everyone incredibly jealous that I own a rare pipe thingamajig and they don't...:)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If it had ridges in it then it would have been for holding a tap that you would use for cutting threads. On the other hand you may have a very rare Dunhill stinger extractor there and you don't get many of those to the pound! :rofl:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
A clue is it came from Woolsey Pipes in Arcadia Ca. That was on the label. On the colored dot, it had the word “Fine”. First question might be, has anyone heard of Woolsey Pipes in Arcadia Ca?

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
Well I will take a guess. If this is not a re-purposed tubing ferrule tool.

I think it might have been designed to install the metal ferrules for a Army/Military mount type stem.

For example a guy brings in his prized old Dunhill that he accidentally snapped the shank. possibly this was used to fix the problem by converting the broken pipe into a salvaged army mount stem? just my two cents, :idea:

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I remember seeing a homemade version of this once before. The guy was using it to turn down tenons on stem blanks. The tenon would be clamped into one of the holes along with a strip of sandpaper. He'd rotate the stem while periodically tightening the thumbscrews to reduce the diameter of the tenon. An incredibly inaccurate way to handle the task, but slightly better than going commando and doing it completely by hand, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.