PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I run two very different pipes clubs here in São Paulo, Brazil. They are also the only two currently running open pipe clubs in the city as far as I know.

Terra da Garoa (a reference to 'Land of drizzling', the nickname for our city) is the first one of the two. We are very busy with preparations for our club's pipe of the year in order for it to arrive on time for the club's third anniversary in April this year. We meet at a very homey brick and mortar pipe shop at a residential area of the town and we have more or less 30 regular club members from all sort of backgrounds: musicians, retirees, college students, nurses, police officers, kids from the slums just scraping by. It's a very lighthearted but very passionate club and we have already organized some cool meetings with live classical musical recitals and even a barbecue. I was asked to join the club's board at the end of last year and we are planning great things for this year too.

São Paulo Pipe Club is a club I organized myself with a group of long time friends that began smoking a pipe. Since we met at law school, we are mostly lawyers or government employees and we meet at an upscale tobacconist near the financial heart of the city. As the place is kind of expensive, this club is a little less diverse. Some regular patrons of the shop have also joined us and we try to focus on teaching beginners how to smoke a pipe in order to popularize this hobby in São Paulo. We started as just a group of friends finding and excuse to meet, but I have seen some improvements on the passion level for pipe smoking from the members of this club and that makes me happy.

If any of you is ever in the area, send me a message. You will be very welcome to smoke a bowl with either of these clubs!
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It really depends on your area. We have one actor that might be considered hipster-ish, but he also has been an extra in many of the most famous movies, and a lot of cool stories about actors. We also get overalls, working men, professors, doctors, and a few students. The range of folks that smoke pipes is as diverse as your community in general.

But, yeh, you have to be open-minded. We've never had kilts, but discussion of kilts seem to come up quite a bit. I've never understood that, ha ha.

And being Alabama, you probably discuss how to fight with your wife sisters and who gonna tell on who to ma! (Sorry, I couldn't resist because I know you are unoffendable)

And being Alabama, you probably discuss how to fight with your wife sisters and who gonna tell on who to ma! (Sorry, I couldn't resist because I know you are unoffendable)
Actually, pick up lines to use on your sister isn't until next month. Lat month was all about "graduating 5th grade" and discussing whether "dents add value to our trucks." puffy

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Quite a few posts seem to denigrate pipe clubs here. Most of the pokes are about the people. I've been a member of the Chicago club for nearly 30 years, and I have rarely experienced the kind of irritants some have mentioned. The Chicago club has always been like Ianiromee's São Paulo clubs' atmosphere of camaraderie.
Sure there are fat, old guys (I'm one), but they are kinda the keepers of the flame, always open to offer advice, the sharing of tobaccos and general pipe lore. But, the main focus is one of fellowship. The conversation are incredibly wide-ranging, not merely about our common interest.
I hope TheKeegMeister can find a club like ours and like the majority of pipe clubs.
And, if you want to see what a Chicago club meeting is like, on steroids, visit the smoking tent at this year's Chicago Show, at the Westin in Itasca, the first weekend in May. I'll be there, checking you into the show, on Saturday and Sunday.
See ya.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Quite a few posts seem to denigrate pipe clubs here. Most of the pokes are about the people.

denigrate? I can see how you would read it that way but no, not really. Any group has its eccentrics and pipe smokers has wonderfully them in droves. If not, I have to find a new hobby/group. And most pipe smokers are among the most generous people you'll ever meet as a group. Lost your pipes? Some one will give you one or maybe three. Run out of tobacco or just want to try something? You'll get it before you know it. It's pretty rare now a days. People joke around, me more than most, but if you are in need, pipe smokers got your back.

Reactions: rushx9 and jpmcwjr

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The New Orleans Pipe Club meets at a brick and mortar pipe and cigar shop in Metairie. We sit around, smoke our pipes, talk about whatever subject comes up, share tobacco and will occasionally sample bourbon, scotch, rum, etc, which a member will bring to the meeting. Every now and then, we meet at a local restaurant that has an outdoor smoking area large enough to accompany those who show up. We have registered members ranging in age from 24 to 78. Usually it's a even split between those under the age of 45 and those over.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@TheKeegMeister: Wow you are in for a culture shock moving from Louisiana to Long Island! On the brighter side you will have the opportunity to sample the delights of the New York Pipe Club and its wonderful annual picnic held at a members house in Long Island. PM me and I'll introduce you to the President Al Capone Lou Cabone who runs the show.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm mostly talking about myself, but most men are so independent and introverted or egotistical that it takes an elaborate excuse to make them sit down together and pretend to be sociable and occasionally listen to each other, or make the pretense of doing so. A pipe club is one of the innovative methods to make this happen that has been found to work for short periods of time. Forums is another such device, although it does not require actually sitting down with others. Model railroad clubs, radio clubs, and chess (or name your game) clubs are similar attempts.

Black Forest Piper

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Colorado, USA
I run two very different pipes clubs here in São Paulo, Brazil.

Some regular patrons of the shop have also joined us and we try to focus on teaching beginners how to smoke a pipe in order to popularize this hobby in São Paulo. We started as just a group of friends finding and excuse to meet, but I have seen some improvements on the passion level for pipe smoking from the members of this club and that makes me happy.

Not only do I love that you are doing this, but I love knowing some of the details like this. Nothing wrong with pipe clubs who want to popularize this hobby in their towns.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.