What is a Cool, Mild, Medium-Sweet, everyday Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Agree. Velvet’s a sleeper that you can often find OTC.
As others have noted, so far you’ve been smoking aromatics. There is a wide range of blends in this category, some that put flavorings/aroma forward and some that put tobacco forward. So far, you’ve focused mostly on those that emphasize aroma (for those around you) over tobacco—with Autumn Evening being the exception.

At this point you have so many directions you could go in with aromatics alone: from traditional American over-the-counter blends (which others here have already suggested) to English scented flakes (known as “Lakelands” for the region where they’re created) to Danish and German blends. But there are also worlds beyond aromatics that you might find you really enjoy. Virginia flakes, English mixtures (which include latakia), Virginia/perique blends, and so-called crossover blends that walk the line between “English” and “aromatic.”

Here are some specific suggestions based entirely on my own experience and preferences. (These are likely all going to be tin-only blends, just so you know.)

In the full-on, “I’m an aromatic, damn it!” category: Dan Tobacco’s Blue Note.
For a more restrained, high-quality aromatic: Ashton’s Guilty Pleasure, CAO’s Eileen’s Dream, Rattray’s Terry Red.
For a crossover: Samuel Gawith’s Perfection, Gawith Hoggarth’s Bob’s Chocolate Flake.
For a Lakeland: Gawith Hoggarth’s Ennerdale, Samuel Gawith’s Kendal Cream Flake
For a Virginia flake: Peterson’s Flake, Dan Tobacco’s Hamborger Veermaster
Virginia/perique (the category I have the least experience with, since I have difficulty smoking perique): Orlik’s Golden Sliced, Escudo, GL Pease’s Haddo’s Delight
English: Peterson Standard Mixture, GL Pease’s Kensington, Presbyterian Mixture.

Read the reviews and see if any of these sound like something you’d want to try. Then follow wherever they might lead you!
Thank you for the suggestions and providing me with some things to think about! I’m doing some research as I’m responding to you and WOW… there are more options than I imagined!

• Haha
Reactions: Elric and rmbittner

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
You may enjoy some of the blends from The Country Squire, particularly those in the LOTR theme. I find Kingsfoil and Green Dragon particularly good. If you want to introduce a mild amount of Latakia into your aromatics, try Kramer's Blend for Carey Grant. Burley Light Without Bite is good, and only lightly aromatic. Tip of the hat to our own @JimInks for his passion for Edward G. Robinson Blend, which is excellent.
Was able to get my hands on some Burley Light without a Bite and really enjoy it. My wife smells all of my tobacco’s, makes nice little labels, puts them each in a jar with label and date. When going through he usual process, which she really does enjoy, she didn’t really have much of an opinion on this one, but as I was smoking it… she did enjoy the aroma, so this one is a win win. Thank you!!

Reactions: rmbittner and Elric

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Yes: Both blessing and curse. ;)
Agreed! But at least I have all of you to provide some good advice and direction! After all, after becoming frustrated with what was a terrible and short lived experience-10 years ago, has turned into a great, pleasant, and most relaxing experience! So, thanks to all of you that took the time to respond!🤠

Reactions: rmbittner and Elric

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Cool, mild, slightly sweet? PS Luxury Twist Flake fits the bill, and it smells good, too! Not really an Aromatic, but a great all day smoke!

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
To piggyback on @rmbitter's post, are you interested in pursuing more "tobacco-forward" blends in time, or are you content with blends that are light on (or completely free of) the tobacco flavor and just present vanilla or cherries or cocoa? No wrong answers, that would help steer the recommendations. :)

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
To piggyback on @rmbitter's post, are you interested in pursuing more "tobacco-forward" blends in time, or are you content with blends that are light on (or completely free of) the tobacco flavor and just present vanilla or cherries or cocoa? No wrong answers, that would help steer the recommendations. :)
I would like to venture outside of aromatics, just would like to keep it on the milder side, if possible, and a pleasant room note. I do want some good flavor, even if not sweet.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Sounds like a trip to Codger Land would serve you well. The fact that you’ve enjoyed a burley, likely means you’d enjoy some Carter Hall-Nutty/Sweetness or Prince Albert-Cocoa or Half n Half or Velvet or Sir Walter Aromatic or Regular or………

G R A N G E R

Reactions: Coreios

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
If you want something a little more tobacco forward but still somewhat aromatic, try some of the Davidoff blends. I found them all to be quite mildly flavored and with a good quality tobacco base. If you feel ready for an English adventure Davidoff's Royalty blend is a really nice and mild English style blend.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Sounds like a trip to Codger Land would serve you well. The fact that you’ve enjoyed a burley, likely means you’d enjoy some Carter Hall-Nutty/Sweetness or Prince Albert-Cocoa or Half n Half or Velvet or Sir Walter Aromatic or Regular or………

G R A N G E R
^ This. Codgerland is where you need to visit...

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
KBV Deep House and Diogenes. Very tasty, mild aromatics, great quality tobaccos. All day smokes. Burns cool and clean -no goop at the bottom of the bowl.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Afternoon Melange is a lighter English that has really hit the spot for me. I blend in about 20% of the 4thGen Morning blend to make it a light English aromatic. Smoked two huge bowls of this last night, had to force myself to stop!