What is a Cool, Mild, Medium-Sweet, everyday Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Title edited for caps, and brevity.

Question for the experienced, or really anyone that would like to chime in. I’m relatively new to pipe smoking (2nd attempt, first time around didn’t go so great). While I can’t say I’m doing everything right, I’ve read enough posts here and tried various methods, that I’m now really enjoying the experience.

So here’s the question… I am enjoying Lane 1Q, Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening, Captain Black, and am tolerating a couple of others. Based on the ones I’m enjoying, what, if anything, do these tobacco’s have in common that I should look for as I expand my collection, and continue exploring other blends that I might enjoy just as much, or perhaps more! As mentioned, I’m pretty new to pipe smoking and don’t know if I should just stick with these and possibly miss out on something out there that’s much better, or at least narrow my search to certain tobacco types/blends.

Also, I’m always up for something new! My likes are a cool, mild, with mild to medium sweetness. If there’s other flavors I can pull out of the smoke that would be even better! I just don’t want to break the bank buying tobacco that will be wasted (I know… that’s part of the experience, trial and error), but this forum has taught me so much and brought me to enjoying my pipe so much, I thought I would ask…

Last edited by a moderator:

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Question for the experienced, or really anyone that would like to chime in. I’m relatively new to pipe smoking (2nd attempt, first time around didn’t go so great). While I can’t say I’m doing everything right, I’ve read enough posts here and tried various methods, that I’m now really enjoying the experience.

So here’s the question… I am enjoying Lane 1Q, Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening, Captain Black, and am tolerating a couple of others. Based on the ones I’m enjoying, what, if anything, do these tobacco’s have in common that I should look for as I expand my collection, and continue exploring other blends that I might enjoy just as much, or perhaps more! As mentioned, I’m pretty new to pipe smoking and don’t know if I should just stick with these and possibly miss out on something out there that’s much better, or at least narrow my search to certain tobacco types/blends.

Also, I’m always up for something new! My likes are a cool, mild, with mild to medium sweetness. If there’s other flavors I can pull out of the smoke that would be even better! I just don’t want to break the bank buying tobacco that will be wasted (I know… that’s part of the experience, trial and error), but this forum has taught me so much and brought me to enjoying my pipe so much, I thought I would ask…
Oh… I got so caught up in this post, I forgot to mention the most important requirement.. My wife says it must smell good! 😂🤠

Reactions: canucklehead

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
You may enjoy some of the blends from The Country Squire, particularly those in the LOTR theme. I find Kingsfoil and Green Dragon particularly good. If you want to introduce a mild amount of Latakia into your aromatics, try Kramer's Blend for Carey Grant. Burley Light Without Bite is good, and only lightly aromatic. Tip of the hat to our own @JimInks for his passion for Edward G. Robinson Blend, which is excellent.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Oh… I got so caught up in this post, I forgot to mention the most important requirement.. My wife says it must smell good! 😂🤠
Well then the follow up question would be: what does your wife think smells good? My wife likes the smell of Virginias because it reminds her of classic, natural cigarettes. She also likes aromatics, and thinks English blends often smell like church incense. Of course, that’s all outdoors. Indoors would be a different matter.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
Boswell’s Titus Blend is one that I didn’t think I was going to like but has grown on me tremendously since a sample was included with a pipe I bought a few months ago. It has a little of the burley nutty/cocoa flavor and the smokey Latakia flavor while still being an aromatic which you’re familiar with and like. From there you can decide if you’d like to dial down the sweetness and go for a more burley forward blend, of if you like the taste of Latakia you can go down the English blend rabbit hole.

I went to a Super Bowl party this year and brought Titus with me, and received a ton of compliments from my friends wives who raved about how good it smelled, so it has that going for it as well

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
The blends you have listed are all what are known as "aromatics" which generally are wife approved for their aroma, but tend to be overly moist with more humectants and artificial flavourings. They also usually have lower nicotine with less "tobacco" flavour.

If you like sweet, aromatic, wife pleasing tobacco, Sutliff makes a ton of different flavours that are inexpensive.

My recommendation for newer smokers is to go on Smokingpipes look at the bulk section, and order a bunch of 1oz samples of anything that sounds interesting or has component tobaccos you like. It's also good to try different categories to see if you may like them better, such as English/Balkan blends (containing Latakia which smells like old books and campfires) Vapers (Virginia/Perique blends), or OTCs (usually mildly aromatic burley blends in pouches or tubs) to give but a few examples.

Reactions: SBC and Relax62

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lane Limited HGL might be appealing. I'm not mostly an aromatic smoker, and I like only tobacco-forward blends when do smoke aromatics, but HGL surprised me. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is another you might like, and maybe Borkum Riff Bourbon.

In terms of expanding your tastes, pouches of Amphora Virginia and Amphora Burley will give you a glimpse into the non-aromatic most-used base tobaccos. Base tobaccos are those that are in greatest proportion in any particular blend.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
As others have noted, so far you’ve been smoking aromatics. There is a wide range of blends in this category, some that put flavorings/aroma forward and some that put tobacco forward. So far, you’ve focused mostly on those that emphasize aroma (for those around you) over tobacco—with Autumn Evening being the exception.

At this point you have so many directions you could go in with aromatics alone: from traditional American over-the-counter blends (which others here have already suggested) to English scented flakes (known as “Lakelands” for the region where they’re created) to Danish and German blends. But there are also worlds beyond aromatics that you might find you really enjoy. Virginia flakes, English mixtures (which include latakia), Virginia/perique blends, and so-called crossover blends that walk the line between “English” and “aromatic.”

Here are some specific suggestions based entirely on my own experience and preferences. (These are likely all going to be tin-only blends, just so you know.)

In the full-on, “I’m an aromatic, damn it!” category: Dan Tobacco’s Blue Note.
For a more restrained, high-quality aromatic: Ashton’s Guilty Pleasure, CAO’s Eileen’s Dream, Rattray’s Terry Red.
For a crossover: Samuel Gawith’s Perfection, Gawith Hoggarth’s Bob’s Chocolate Flake.
For a Lakeland: Gawith Hoggarth’s Ennerdale, Samuel Gawith’s Kendal Cream Flake
For a Virginia flake: Peterson’s Flake, Dan Tobacco’s Hamborger Veermaster
Virginia/perique (the category I have the least experience with, since I have difficulty smoking perique): Orlik’s Golden Sliced, Escudo, GL Pease’s Haddo’s Delight
English: Peterson Standard Mixture, GL Pease’s Kensington, Presbyterian Mixture.

Read the reviews and see if any of these sound like something you’d want to try. Then follow wherever they might lead you!