What Have You Found In Your Estate Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I found a pipe that a dirt-dauber wasp had filled. The inhabitant was gone, so I got a small dental pic and cleaned it out. Then used my dremel with a brass brush to finish the process. Salt and Alchohol treatment and the usual it was good to go.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
Great ideas and response. Looks like I'm gonna hafta give this repair a try only because I like a challenge. I don't like the idea of losing original stain but on this one it's inevitable.

It's now in my to do pile.

I'll post as I make progress.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I forgot to say, after soaking and testing to make sure clamps seal the crack(s), you'll need to dry the pipe thoroughly before applying the glue. I use the oven for this, set at 180F. Strummel only. If cracks dont seal on the dry strummel during the dry run test, you'll have to dry it with clamps in place in the oven. Before applying glue.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Wow... that's gross. I know there are some good deals out there, but sometimes those deals are not good and more work than what its worth in the long run. I try to buy only pipes that have been pre-cleaned to some extent, and then after I receive it I'll do any additional cleaning if necessary.
Good luck with that pipe... you're going to need it.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
The only odd thing ive ever found was an old Dr. Grabow filter, that probibly hadnt seen light in 30+ years( used of course ). Those little guys in your pipe will just add flavor :lol:

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Spider and cobwebs, and ghosts of tobaccos past is the only thing I have found in my estates..

latbomber

May 10, 2013
I usually find disgusting lakeland perfume ghosts in estates, but thats about it!

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
Here is another I got in the same batch. this is a full bent billiard, don't know the maker, just says imported briar, and Italy. Anyway, looks like a spider created a nice protected place to lay eggs in the bottom of this bowl. I have to say, its probably a really good place and the spider puppies or whatever they are called probably grew up healthly.
Anyway, I pulled out the paperlike plug the spider made, actually you can see the hole the young ones made getting out. I was unsure what would be staring me in the face when I did this, and actually had crazy thoughts running through my mind of having discovered satans lair or something like that. Anyway, NOTHING was there and I had to give thanks on this Thanksgiving day to the spider for having created this plug that kept the bottom of the bowl clean. This will be an easy clean out, Ill post it under the pipe repair page to show progress.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Well, the bugs and spider egg posts make my ancient filter look like a tasty cinnamon stick!
I wasn't expecting a filter in my pipe. It's a "Champion" made in Switzerland, as far as I can tell at the moment. The purification process will begin on Wednesday for that one.
Coming in the mail next week is an Amphora with a broken shank. My challenge is to fix the crack and band it. We'll see how that goes.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Wow, I thought when I found my orange viscount at the antique store the other week with the spider cobwebs it would of been something new. Well I now see it has happened to many of you as well!! And then I see that spider "egg sack" and that is INSANE! Way more than what I had in mine.
So what I have found in my estates are massive amounts of cake and cobwebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.