What Happened to the 'Caption This' Monthly Contests?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Members from before the Great Update will remember this monthly feature. Any particular reason it isn't done anymore?

Remember these?

pipe-caption-725.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Reminds me of how the New Yorker had a similar caption and I had some weird determination to win with a blue caption. The only one I remember submitting had a doctor walking into an exam room with a cast on both arms. My caption was "I'am doctor Steve and I'll be your proctologist today" just incase no one knows I never even got to be a runner up.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After entering the caption contest for several years, with no wins, I got first place once! It was especially good because I am not a big contest winner, pretty rare for me. First place prize at the time was an excellent Savinelli Venere straight rusticated apple pipe that I enjoy, and a Savinelli t-shirt that happened to fit me well, that I am still wearing. SP co-sponsored the contest for years with Pipes Magazine. Eventually the prizes were scaled back a bit; I think it just got expensive. And finally the contest ended. Besides the expensive of prizes, I surmise it may have taken more of Kevin's time than he wanted to allot to it. The art itself was another time/money consideration I think. But it was fun while it lasted. I also was a regular entry in The New Yorker caption contest, but that resulted in zip.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Contests are labor intensive, I know from experience as a judge (not cartoon captions). A revival on the caption contest could be trimmed back by not having it monthly, but having it only when members contribute cartoons, and with prizes only being bragging rights. This might result in few entries, and not so good ones, but it would be a way to bring it back without as much time or expense. There are still the set-up and the judging. I always recall one of the contests I thought had gone bust, with no entries, and then the day of the deadline I got home and there was a tower of entries leaning against the front door dramatically.

Reactions: bnichols23
Status
Not open for further replies.