PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Indeed a broad amorphous term it seems. So per Cosmic, guess that older Nording I own stamped handmade maybe wasn't.;) Do have a couple of rather old Danish Ben Wades with that stamping-so maybe them? Am under the impression that early Ashtons were handmade and do have 1 from '85.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Been answered already, but I like to think actually made by hand. As with other artisan items - soap, pottery, quilts, etc.
The meaning seems to have gotten lost in the pipe world (and others). I assume all factory pipes are machine made unless explicitly stated "handmade stem" or something. People on an assembly line isn't handmade to me. One pipe, one carver - that's what I would consider truly handmade. And it's why I mostly collect artisan pipes.

Reactions: OzPiper

2smoke

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Flowery Branch, Georgia
To me it means that someone uses their hands in a skilled manner that adds value to whatever is being made. In the world of pipe making different tools are used from lathes and sanding wheels etc. All of which take skilled hands to operate and eyes to be able to detect and defects. In my opinion, any individual that makes pipes by themselves earns the right to say that they are %100 handmade.

Indeed a broad amorphous term it seems. So per Cosmic, guess that older Nording I own stamped handmade maybe wasn't.;) Do have a couple of rather old Danish Ben Wades with that stamping-so maybe them? Am under the impression that early Ashtons were handmade and do have 1 from '85.
I have a few of the Valhalla line by Nording stamped “handmade”.
But, when I bought them, they were on a rack with others with identical marks where it was rusticated, and identical tool patterns on each.
I don’t think Erik actually held any of them.
But, I love the pipes nonetheless. He produces a fine smoking pipe for cheap, cheap.

He even told me that the stems were mass produced, so that if I ever messed one up, he’d send me another that would fit. Good guy.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
‘Handmade’ vs ‘homemade’ is an interesting angle. I’ve ‘homemade’ a few - with only a power drill. Lots of hand shaping with files and rasps. Of course buffing and polishing with a wheel on the press. No way could anyone afford to make and sell pipes with that level of effort. ‘Handmade’ means a lot less than that. Maybe simply not ‘automated?’

Gen.Confusion

Lurker
Jul 22, 2022
Indiana
Not going to change any minds with this post but read several years ago in regards to similar arguments regarding bamboo fly rods that if you ask the manufacturer who made it and someone says "I machine plained the blank" and someone else says "I put on the wraps" and a third guys says "I did the stain" that's a factory made product. If an old guy puts down his cup of coffee, turns down the radio and says "I did" that's handmade regardless of what he used to make it.

That's how I see it anyway. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
same thing as natural. Pretty much nothing. It implies a few things. But those things literally change from person to person and a maker or seller can use the term either to express their idea of what it should mean or to deceive you into making assumptions. In pipes it honestly seems to mean more about the level of care put into quality control. And it does seem like most carvers and factories to me don't seem to be abusing the loophole or at least not in a way that while legal fine would still morally be fraudulent. But I could be just a naïve little pipe smoker.

HPipes

Lurker
Jan 16, 2023
I think "handmade" can mean several things.

1: in a factory (e.g. Savinelli), one or more people shape a block of briar and drill it without automated machinery. The stem is also made from a piece of rod (ebonite, acrylic etc.) but not from a moulded stem. I think the 'autographs' are made in this way.

2: in a workshop (e.g. Radice), one or more people make a pipe as above; block of briar and rod.

3: a single pipe-maker (e.g. Nanna Ivarsson) creates a pipe from a block of briar and rod stock.

In all circumstances, machinery is used. Lathes, drill presses, sanding wheels, buffing machines etc. Making a pipe without these is pretty pointless.

A few other terms that I think are worth a mention:

"Handcrafted": I take this to mean a handmade stummel with a preformed stem, made to fit.

"Freehand": I don't think this means any old wonky shape that doesn't fit the traditional shape chart, but shaped first and then drilled.

Just my ha'penny's worth :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yup, it's pretty undetermined. Artisan and handmade are highly interpretive. I think of one guy in a workshop with some power tools crafting the whole pipe, briar and stem, and finishing it as well.

But there are plenty of artisans and crafts people working on the factory lines. And many of the senior folks can do all of the steps with skill. So in a sense, all pipes are handmade, just depending on how many hands are involved.

Les Wood worked at Dunhill for years, specializing in metal work, but learning the rest. Then he went out on his own and made his Ferndown pipes, a really elegant line that were certainly artisan by definition. This is fairly typical of pipe making artisans, though some only ever work in their own workshops

Reactions: warren

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
If a human hand touched it in any phase of manufacture it’s handmade.

It’s exactly like washing my truck. I pay to have my truck washed; therefore, I washed my truck.

It’s why I hate rain, I lose bragging rights.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I think it is really really hard for someone to make any money at making pipes in a one man, one shop all handmade set up. Even if demand is so high that you sell each one made as soon as it is made. You are just limited on how many pipes you can make in one year. And, wouldn't it suck to be chained to a lathe day in and day out every day of the year. Either they have to start getting Ivarsson's prices pretty quickly, or find a way to cut corners somewhere. Mark Tinsky uses casted stems for many of his pipes and hand turns the stummels.
There ain't no way that Erik Nording has been making his pipes all by his own hands in a long time. Oh, I am sure some of the pipes he has made, maybe all by hand also. But at less than $100 a pop, most of those.... uhn uh.

No, I'd estimate that at the artisan level, many are just doing it for the love of the art.
Walt has found some ways to cut corners. The ones who are actually making it a business have to.

There are CAD based machines that could easily make a whole pipe, and the technology is getting more and more affordable. But, if any pipemakers that are getting these machines, they are being tight lipped or lying about it. Oh, they make have to do a little sanding and staining, but that doesn't make them handmade.

So, either we have to suspend out disbelief at times when we see "handmade" or we have to feel sorry for that old man Erik Nording chained to a machine and cranking out thousands of pipes a year.

The one guy that I am baffled by is Ian Walker. How does he sell his pipes so cheap? Either he has helper elves on that barge of his, or some other secret... but he seems to sure make a hell of a lot of pipes by himself.

Reactions: fireground_piper

HPipes

Lurker
Jan 16, 2023
I think it is really really hard for someone to make any money at making pipes in a one man, one shop all handmade set up. Even if demand is so high that you sell each one made as soon as it is made. You are just limited on how many pipes you can make in one year. And, wouldn't it suck to be chained to a lathe day in and day out every day of the year. Either they have to start getting Ivarsson's prices pretty quickly, or find a way to cut corners somewhere. Mark Tinsky uses casted stems for many of his pipes and hand turns the stummels.
There ain't no way that Erik Nording has been making his pipes all by his own hands in a long time. Oh, I am sure some of the pipes he has made, maybe all by hand also. But at less than $100 a pop, most of those.... uhn uh.

No, I'd estimate that at the artisan level, many are just doing it for the love of the art.
Walt has found some ways to cut corners. The ones who are actually making it a business have to.

There are CAD based machines that could easily make a whole pipe, and the technology is getting more and more affordable. But, if any pipemakers that are getting these machines, they are being tight lipped or lying about it. Oh, they make have to do a little sanding and staining, but that doesn't make them handmade.

So, either we have to suspend out disbelief at times when we see "handmade" or we have to feel sorry for that old man Erik Nording chained to a machine and cranking out thousands of pipes a year.

The one guy that I am baffled by is Ian Walker. How does he sell his pipes so cheap? Either he has helper elves on that barge of his, or some other secret... but he seems to sure make a hell of a lot of pipes by himself.
"Wouldn't it suck to be chained to a lathe day in and day out every day of the year?" -- NO! lol

As for Ian, he has no little elves, but what else are you going to do if you live on a canal boat? I do know of his processes for fast stem work though. 🤐 He indeed does make a lot of pipes by hand by himself.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I always thought Hand Made meant, no automation in the process, like machines/robots actually doing the work.

I first began to think of this, when I was younger for sports cars, like Porsche and Ferrari, which at the time were considered hand made cars, not built by machines on an assembly line.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
not built by machines on an assembly line.
With all the parts only hand assembled But, nearly all of the parts "hand assembled" were not handmade. So, hardly a "handmade" vehicle.

Until various governments choose to regulate and define the terms "hand made" the words only mean what you (as you did) or I assume them to mean. We all make up our own definition to fill in the "blanks" as it where.

Up here, Alaska, the words "Alaskan Made" can only be labeled on a product if the manufacturer meets stringent regulations established by the State of Alaska. But, the State hasn't even attempted to define "handmade." All words have meaning. Not all words have a "definitive" meaning however.

Reactions: PipeIT

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
And, therein is the reason words must be carefully chosen if the speaker's/writer's intent is to match the receiver's comprehension. And, the very reason why communication, verbal and written must be carefully thought out before the tongue is engaged or pen put to paper when serious intercourse is engaged in.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
With all the parts only hand assembled But, nearly all of the parts "hand assembled" were not handmade. So, hardly a "handmade" vehicle.

Until various governments choose to regulate and define the terms "hand made" the words only mean what you (as you did) or I assume them to mean. We all make up our own definition to fill in the "blanks" as it where.

Up here, Alaska, the words "Alaskan Made" can only be labeled on a product if the manufacturer meets stringent regulations established by the State of Alaska. But, the State hasn't even attempted to define "handmade." All words have meaning. Not all words have a "definitive" meaning however.

I would assume, the only way it’s truly defined, is by the Legal Definition, that each country defines such words/meanings by, not just in Laymen’s terms. 🤔

Maybe Black’s Law for the USA, not sure about other countries though...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Any number of sources can define the term and do. Until it's enshrined in a law or, possibly a government regulation, it has no definitive commercial/legal meaning. A governing body for, say silversmiths, might formulate a definition for it's members. There is no governing body for pipe manufacturers. I believe the jewelry industry has a definition provided by the US FTC. Of, course such only applies to the US. Other countries? I don't feel like doing the research. As do many other industries. But pipes? There is no association or governing body that I am aware of. Some definitions allow powered tools but, not "machines" to be involved in"handmade" regulations. Is a lathe a machine or tool? Machine for sure. What about a treadle/foot powered lathe? Murky water indeed!

Black's doesn't show a definition for "handmade" with regard to objects, that I could find.

Reactions: PipeIT