PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Is there a threshold?

Does it mean no power tools?

Does it mean the maker uses power tools but directly controls them?

Does it mean the rough shaping is done by machine and the rest is done manually?

Is there a threshold for the number of steps that must be done manually?

If one maker uses more manual labour than another is it then "more hand made"?

Unfortunately, it means nothing. It seems that for some of the factories, if you hold the pipe at any time during production, you can stamp it handmade.

Hell, I watch Erik Nording talk to a friend and fellow forum member who showed him a pipe of his that he had bought and brought to Show Erik. He was like, "Oh yas, I remember making that pipe with my own hands."
I nudged Erik and asked him if he remembered making all 500 of that exact same pipe, and he just winked and laughed. He said, "I do go into the factory from time to time."

It would be truly hard to hand make a pipe. Our nails are strong enough to scrape off the briar. We could try biting off to rough shape, but after number of teeth having issues for keep opening beer bottles, I don't wanna go there.
This is the discussion in the jewelry world too. Once the casters win the debate, then the computer 3D printed jewelry folks start saying their work is handmade also. They did have to use their fingers on a keyboard.
It's just gotten so that in every craft genre, everyone says that their work is handmade.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I don't think any "factory made" briar pipe has ever been made without "power tools" frasing machines have been around since the 1870's or so. Missouri Meerschaum has cob machines that have been in continuous use since roughly 1890. But even a frased stummle requires a LOT of sanding and finishing that has to be done buy a human standing at French wheel. Even most "hand cut stems" are "hand cut" from blanks made on a machine. Chacom is a good example, all of their stems are processed from rod stock on machines that are approximately 100 years old. Some are mostly finished on equally old machinery some are finished by hand. This very old machinery itself requires a very skilled operator to work properly. Even an artisan pipe started and completed by one person was done with a LOT of power tools. Almost all artisans use a lathe to rough out the stummle, a french wheel to refine the stummle, a lathe to rough the stem, a buffer to polish the pipe. If a pipe carver is standing at lathe making pipes is it not hand made? If that same carver is standing at a lathe next to 12 other carvers at lathes, is not the same level of skill? If you idea of a hand made pipe is one made in the absence of power tools your in for some poor quality pipes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is there a threshold?

Does it mean no power tools?

Does it mean the maker uses power tools but directly controls them?

Does it mean the rough shaping is done by machine and the rest is done manually?

Is there a threshold for the number of steps that must be done manually?

If one maker uses more manual labour than another is it then "more hand made"?
1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. Sometimes
5. No.
6. Your choice.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Most "by hand" carvers will use drills and lathes. I have a pipe from "Fat Bastard," the brand name used by an American carver living in Denmark, who carves out his pipe bowls by hand.
View attachment 197478

View attachment 197479
How long does it take him to get a blast that deep by just throwing sand at the stummle? That seems tiring, my arm hurts just thinking about it...

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
This is a little off topic, (when has that ever stopped me??) but I find the perceived gap between 'handmade' and 'homemade' really interesting. My toast popped, so I will not expand just now.

• Haha
Reactions: SBC

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It would be truly hard to hand make a pipe. Our nails are strong enough to scrape off the briar. We could try biting off to rough shape, but after number of teeth having issues for keep opening beer bottles, I don't wanna go there.
Omg I needed a good laugh. Thank you.

But this is a really good question. One I've been wondering myself lately.

Reactions: bullet08 and SBC