Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
405yim.jpg

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I never saw the point of cellaring tobacco. I'm only two days out of an order anyway so I don't need to stock up unless its a once a year blend like Carolina Red Flake, and in general, what I get is already aged a few years anyway. I purchase it when I need it and smoke it when I get it, but that's just me.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Beer! Most high alcohol beer like Imperial Stout, Barleywine, Scotch Ale, and Belgian Quads really start to get good at about a year. I have one series that I drink only after 10 years of age. My oldest bottle is about 27 years old now, but most modern beers will peak after about 3 years of aging if not sooner. I don't cellar any more as it is a slippery slope of ending up with more beer than can be consumed and enjoyed before it is past it's prime. In addition, beer prices are now WAY higher than they used to be and that isn't work the risk on whether the beer may age well. I am mostly drinking through my beer cellar now and very rarely ever add anything to it other than if I buy a case of something and then it sits in the cellar as it is consumed, not because it is specifically set aside to age any more. If there are any questions about aging beer, please let me know!

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I never saw the point of cellaring tobacco.

I don't have a huge cellar, but I do have some tobacco. Soon, and soon may mean 10 years, you wont even be able to find a pack of cigarettes for sale.. forget finding your favorite pipe tobacco.

I don't believe I can cellar enough of all the tobacco products I enjoy, to last a lifetime. But, I can get a good head start and buy enough time to perfect growing and processing my own.

Last edited:

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Tea, all kinds but especially puerh tea. I have beengs that I won't drink for two more decades, because that is when they will taste best.

This is new to me.
Where can I learn more about aging tea?
I 'm still at work, so haven't had a chance to google it yet.

Reactions: twoonefive

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai
Razor blades. I read that Personna were closing their Israeli factory and moving production to Germany and I’d recently discovered the Crystal blades they make in Nazareth are the best DE razor blades for my face so I bought a thousand of them recently.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
I started doing it decades ago to stay ahead of rising costs and to have favorites long after they become discontinued.
Plus, if dire need arises you can always ask your spouse for access to her cellar. I hear tell that she is pretty well stocked.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Fountain pen inks and quality paper to write with fountain pens. Of course I have also a limited collection of fountain pens.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The reason I began my cellar was to make sure I had my favorite blends to smoke when ever the mood hit me. I did a lot of one tin research as I did test every blend that made the cut. Only one blend did I cellar with out trying it first and I can't smoke it. I can trade it easily enough.Besides the idea of having my favorites at all times, I knew pipe; tobacco would never be cheaper than when I made the commitment too cellar what I wanted.
]he main Esortericas Stonehaven and Pemzannce were tough at the big boys bit not the small guys.

There was also a huge advantage back the n which was limits. Only a few of the Esoterica and SG had big demand. The rest was no limits.
I would buy mostly in 25 tins lots, sometimes 50, sometimes 100.
The prices i=on some things jumped pretty high like MAc Baren OLs Dark Fired was on sale for 9.99 for the 3.5 oz tin. and regular was 109 for the 3,.6/ I ended up with 65 which I thought would be enough.
One of my favorites Fribourg& Treyer Cut Virginia plug could be had for less than ten a tin
. Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake was all under 10. Some one had a deal on Dunhill Deluxe Navy rolls were buy 2 get one free. I ordered around 75 on one sale and then not sure on other.

Much of my escudo was bought for less than 9 a tin as they had a rumor going around no more Escudo and I think it was PC who had the sale, I bought around 75-80 tins. I love a good rumor.

At one point I was giving PC about 70% of my business to PC as their inventory and prices were just a tad lower than SP. 4noggins at that time they were a great source wessex blends. They were also loaded with Astleys no 44 Dark Flake.I could all ways grab 25-50 tins. I also got a ton of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake from 4oggins round PC and SP. For the longest time I was buying ,my Notary Navy Cut fro PC i the beginning cause it was a buck cheaper than SP. but then PC no longer had it do I banged out all they had. Te next big rush was when Peck found out how good Brigham Klondike Gold. He ordered a 100 tins before he told me.
I began ordering the Gold in 25 tin bunches, after around 150 plus I slowed down.I began collaring John Aylesbury Luxury Flake I did the same thing to Peck ordered a 100 before I told him.He got his share as I did me. For that almost full yearI got what I wanted and reached my goal of somem 200 plus pounds. I thoght I was done but in the summer of 2013 Mac Baren ca,e out with Captsan Blue Flake. I fell in love and began buYng in 25 lots. lot of people thought it to be expensive but compared compared the price of a cigar compared to a pipe full of tobacoo. I think Capstan worked out to be about .87 a bowl that would last 1-2 hours, try and find a cigar that goo for that cheap.
i hqd no idea if people were just talking so i took no chances and got like 60 to start, my ;ast order was for 75 and I think I stopped around 150-175. That was it I reached my goal but of course I wasn't done. I had a guy offer me 3 pounds of Stonehaven from 2007 for 83 a pound. Had another guy offer me 3 pounds of SG Brown Flake at 55 a pound. Both of the guys were from the old smokersforum.uk. Another guy from there offered me 8 100 gram tins of 2002 Solaria for only 18 a tin nae they were the 100 gram ones.

i said I was done many times now but I am a sucker for certain aged ins that fall through the cracks from time to time Then 2017 or 2018 comes around and I had to find out about Butera Royal Vintage Dark Stoved, bought 140 of those. Then the Sabinelli Doblone d'Or 3.5 oz tins for 15.36 on sale. Then Curly Block, then freaking SLaty Dogs , then the 2013 Capstan Gold Ready Rubbed. Grabbed 25 of those.
That was just a rundown, there was plenty I left out as I can't remember all that I have , I am surprised I remembered this amount. I had a blast chasing stuff down and going head to head with Peck. Granted it was like Bill Gates against some local piker who did ok with what he had.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
She's at about 80 pounds, I crossed 350 last year
Holy catz! You guys are well supplied. When I read 80 pounds, I thought, "sheiiit, that aint that much". Then I thought about the actual volume of 80 lbs of tobacco.
When I read further at the 350 figure, my head almost exploded.

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.