What does the English "Smoke Free Target of 2030" Mean?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Highlandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2023
Clynder, Argyll & Bute, G84 0QX
Title edited for all caps and brevity.

I have seen the UK government's smoke free target of 2030 repeatedly quoted in the mass media over the last couple of weeks.

Does anyone know if this is a target to get people to volunteer the giving up of tobacco or do they actually plan to legislate the removal of tobacco from public sale.

I really don't understand how this can be considered when balanced alongside our ever growing alcohol sales revenue and also the ever-growing drive to legitimise drug use. And don't get me started on the cost if overeating. However I do support the educating of helath risk balanced against personal choice. Removing choice leads to a '1984' society that Orwell warned us against.

Should I be rapidly stockpiling my cellar to last me until the long sleep or take this with a pinch o salt. Understand no definitive answer available but interested on people's opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have seen the UK government's smoke free target of 2030 repeatedly quoted in the mass media over the last couple of weeks.

Does anyone know if this is a target to get people to volunteer the giving up of tobacco or do they actually plan to legislate the removal of tobacco from public sale.

I really don't understand how this can be considered when balanced alongside our ever growing alcohol sales revenue and also the ever-growing drive to legitimise drug use. And don't get me started on the cost if overeating. However I do support the educating of helath risk balanced against personal choice. Removing choice leads to a '1984' society that Orwell warned us against.

Should I be rapidly stockpiling my cellar to last me until the long sleep or take this with a pinch o salt. Understand no definitive answer available but interested on people's opinion.
I suspect that this is a social, rather than legislative, goal. Prohibitions generally result in the opposite of what was intended. Death by a thousand cuts is the better method. Making smoking socially repellent is a very successful tactic.
By all means, cellar up, and tobaccos will likely be more expensive and of poorer quality as time goes on.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
The US always seems to be 10 to 20 years behind Europe, but it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to do something like that here. I was talking to a lady last night who said she was reading a story to her grandchildren and there was a picture in the book of a man with a pipe in his hand. The little girl asked her grandma what that was. She had never seen anyone smoking a pipe. It's not often that you see someone smoking a pipe in public these days, at least not here in Oregon. I recall only once in recent months seeing someone smoking a pipe in public as he was walking across the street.

Pipe smoking seems to be a dying art. Perhaps it will make a resurgence someday?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
nothing we can actually predict accurately. First it isn't entirely up to them at the end of the day. Second things change and not in a way that always is predictable. And as I've said many times disinterest is a bigger threat then any government body or decision ever could be. I try to get too preachy here (trust me I can get preachy if I feel like it), but I think being out and proud about our pipe smoking is important. It's amazing how many people who say something to me about it talk about cigs always seemed gross but the pipe is cool and just seems different. Not saying we have to proselytize but also don't act like it's smoking crack and you have to hide in your basement or something.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The US always seems to be 10 to 20 years behind Europe, but it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to do something like that here. I was talking to a lady last night who said she was reading a story to her grandchildren and there was a picture in the book of a man with a pipe in his hand. The little girl asked her grandma what that was. She had never seen anyone smoking a pipe. It's not often that you see someone smoking a pipe in public these days, at least not here in Oregon. I recall only once in recent months seeing someone smoking a pipe in public as he was walking across the street.

Pipe smoking seems to be a dying art. Perhaps it will make a resurgence someday?
it could. And if you follow the history the demonization of tobacco really didn't get traction until cigarettes became the most standard form of it. Before that people complained about it like people complain about coffee some times. They make a mess and what a waste of money... And it makes you smell bad.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London

As far as I can tell, the goal is to have smokers (who knows what kind) be less than 5% of the population by 2030, a target that is already expected to be missed, and at any rate, smokers are already down to less than 15%. In practice, for us pipesmokers, I doubt it will make much difference as I suspect the pipe smoking population is already tiny, and fairly consistent in number over the long term.

I can't see tobacco ever being completely banned as the government likes to have a tiny number of highly addicted people paying excess amounts of tax whilst being belittled, badgered and berated every puff.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
One day paper & coin money will be gone. Once it is, doing ANYTHING that the ruling class doesn't want little people doing will be trackable.

It will also work the other way. There will be all sorts of things that MUST be done, or else.

Tobacco is the merest gnat. A good early-days opportunity to tune the mechanisms of monitoring and control. The scary stuff is still waiting offstage.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The rising oceans and impending climate change will destroy all smoking everywhere so the safest thing to do is send me all your pipe tobacco for immediate cryogenic storage on the moon (properly humidified and climate controlled) to await your evacuation pod arrival. I will present you with a verified receipt and an absolute guarantee that I won’t smoke any of it whatsoever and will faithfully deliver it to you at moon base one in a timely fashion. PM me for details and shipping instructions. Those silly laws won’t be an issue at all with this guaranteed plan of action.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
The rising oceans and impending climate change will destroy all smoking everywhere so the safest thing to do is send me all your pipe tobacco for immediate cryogenic storage on the moon (properly humidified and climate controlled) to await your evacuation pod arrival. I will present you with a verified receipt and an absolute guarantee that I won’t smoke any of it whatsoever and will faithfully deliver it to you at moon base one in a timely fashion. PM me for details and shipping instructions. Those silly laws won’t be an issue at all with this guaranteed plan of action.
1681244784738.png