PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

'olbuzzsaw

Lurker
Apr 11, 2024
Northwest Indiana
I plan on my next pipe purchase being the Peterson System 2s. Do you guys know if there is any difference in performance between models as far as moisture? That bent apple shape does it for me.

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I find that moisture still stays in the stem and doesn’t drip down. It just keeps getting sucked up. Maybe it’s just me, but the “system” cavity just complicates cleaning.
That was going to be my next question. How do you clean it? That shape would seem to be difficult with just a pipe cleaner.

Reactions: woodsroad

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I find that moisture still stays in the stem and doesn’t drip down. It just keeps getting sucked up. Maybe it’s just me, but the “system” cavity just complicates cleaning.
From now on you shall be known as Hoover. And not the cool over from Animal House, Hoover like the vacuum that really sucks.

Never owned a system pipe, always seemed gross that the "moisture" would just collect in the pipe.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I'm not a great fan of system Petes, but I do like my Mark Twain and one other. The cleaning, which is a bit of a ritual, is not really a big deal. Read the SP article posted above. I've never had the reservoir backflow, unless I'm doing somersaults or standing on my head while clenching the pipe.

What gets me about "the system" is, you take two bent Petes, one a system pipe and the other a "regular." The system pipe collects condensation or whatever it is, but the regular one smokes normally, assuming you're not a drooler. I don't drool, but there's always a vile liquid in the reservoir after the bowl is done. Where does the moisture go in the regular pipe? In other words, why bother?

One other:

PeteSpec2.jpg

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
While I love my system pipes, pretty much this! ETA: I've pulled the stingers in each and drilled for 9mm filter, I've never actually sucked up from the well, it certainly won't happen now.

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
Did any other pipe makers use an extra chamber for dealing with moisture? Is this something you might run into with estate pipes, or it just with Petersons?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Did any other pipe makers use an extra chamber for dealing with moisture? Is this something you might run into with estate pipes, or it just with Petersons?
I have an odd looking pipe that has a drip sump, but I’ve never smoked it. I’ll post a pic later.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
After this I intend to go hide in a cave for a couple of years so the Peterson fanatic can't find me with their torches and pitchforks....

"system", in this case, is a euphemism for "bull shit". Any pipe that smokes so wet that it needs a "well" to catch all the juice has serious problems. It's just a selling gimmick. And if it's the tobacco, then dry it out fool! puffy

Reactions: Sigmund

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Well, that a codger for you, LOL. I am in the same camp in terms of how I view these things. There are many devices for this function beside the Peterson one. There's Brigham, there's Kaywoodie, the Dr. Grabow, all kinds of pipes with stingers and filters in them. etc. While I think there unnecessary, a lot of people would disagree. Smoke what you like and let the other fellow smoke what he wants. Anything that gets more people into pipes is a good thing.

Reactions: PiperCalvinist

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That was going to be my next question. How do you clean it? That shape would seem to be difficult with just a pipe cleaner.
not hard at all. Just an extra step. The well cleans easily. The one thing that's really different is that for best results after cleaning you leave the stem out of the pipe (why it has the band or spigots so that temp fluctuations don't matter) and only put it in when smoking. But not hard to clean at all.