PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rub-a-dub-dub. What tobacco do you like that comes in a tub? For a long time, I had a tub of Granger in rotation but donated the last ounce or two to our veteran friends who were taking up the briar. Since then, I've discovered PC Midtown Chestnut, the only non-aromatic in the series, with both burley and Virginia, and some Lat and Per too. When I want to fill up a big bowl for a slow smoke, this one hits the spot. If I want a variation, I can dust in a little Izmir, Cav, cigar leaf, or dark fired. It goes great in a wider bowl so everything can sing at once. It fills a spot between my other non-aromatics, a few aromatics I like, and Va/Per and English that I enjoy. I like Carter Hall and Prince Albert, but buy them in pouches now and then. Chestnut kind of fills the bill for tub tobacco for me. What are your tubby friends?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Sugar Barrel was my introduction to tub tobaccos. I picked up a tub of Prince Albert just so I could say that yes, I had Prince Albert in a can...
So far, that's been it. I picked up some of P&C's Sugar Barrel match after Middleton discontinued it, and I'm told that the Midtown blend Sweet Cask is the same.
With regard to what I'm looking for, it's generally flavor and all-day smoking characteristics - if I'm going to have that much sitting around, I'll definitely want to enjoy it. For example, I tried Sir Walter Raleigh and hated it (smells and tastes too much like cigarette tobacco for me), so I'd hate to waste a whole tub of it.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Granger, Lane Limited Ready Rubbed, and I smoke Edward G Robinson from the tub even though it is also available in tins. I probably smoke more Granger than all my other tobacco combined. I find it shockingly good.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I keep a tub of Carter Hall. It's like a box of cereal for me. Carter Hall and coffee in the morning is a match made in heaven.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sugar Barrel, Lane's Ready Rubbed, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Paladin Black Cherry.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Prince Albert from the tub tastes better then from the pouch IMO. To be quite honest, all OTC blends that come in pouch & tub always taste better from the tub. It's been awhile but I seem to remember that Captain Black blends taste better from the tub then the pouch. Doesn't seem to be that much PG in the tubs as compared to the pouch.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
I don't know what has gotten into me lately but I have been on an otc kick. I love Velvet and just bought my second tub and now bought a tub of Half and Half. Next on the list Prince Albert. I guess I needed a break from all the English blends I've been smoking. Maybe, too, it's the wonderful memories that these old blends create. Every time I light up a bowl of Velvet or Half and Half I think of my Uncle who smoked a pipe for decades. Oh, the memories.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
My go to in a tub is PA. But, I love P&C Chestnut, Granger and SWR.
I'm a codger at heart.....and in age.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Down to one tub. I'll try Chestnut next.

ce2bcc172f903344ed14e242d3503ef9.jpg

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
Sir Walter Raleigh, I always have some on hand it is a good all day smoke. I am not sure why but it seems to have a lil more flavor in the tub then it does in the pouch. :puffy:

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Used to be Carter Hall, but I just don't enjoy it as much anymore. Kind of boring to my taste the last year or so. I never liked PA, Walnut, Half and Half (the devil's fire on my tongue), or SWR much. I've never tried Chestnut, that might be one I need to sample soon though.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I keep open tubs of Captain Black Regular, Half and Half, Prince Albert, Carter Hall and Paladin Cherry around pretty much at all times. Sir Walter Raleigh's joining soon. There are a few I used to keep around by the big cans that are gone, or have re-emerged available only in smaller packaging (Field and Stream, a couple Sails, a couple Amphoras, Walnut and Angler's Dream immediately come to mind).
You don't have to be careful storing CBW or Half and Half, either; just leave them in their tubs. It takes a long time (years) for these to dry out (yeah, propylene glycol, I know ... ) :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I keep eyeing that 7 ounce tin/tub of Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, which is a tobacco forward aro. I'm not sure if a 7 ounce container is a tin or a tub, but I suspect I'd keep that in rotation. I bet I can see 40 unopened tins from where I'm sitting, and another thirty blends in jars and bags, and more out of sight, so another tin/tub seems gratuitous. Right now, Chestnut is my only tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.