PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
My problem is I am a creature of habit. I have gotten into the habit of just dumping the remains into what I call my hoover jar. I just always forgot to smoke some from my hoover jar. So after many years I now have really large jar of hoover tobacco I need to work on. :)

Reactions: anotherbob
Jun 23, 2019
When I get to the bottom of a tin there may be a bit of tobacco left that is not adequate to fill a bowl. Should I
1. Dump it into the next tin even if it is not the same blend
2. Start a can of scraps, mixing everything together until I have a full tin
3. Toss it

Funny reading this today. I actually just finished the last of a tin of Frog Morton on the Bayou and had this left over:

e5n4mmjl.jpg

What I like to do is use it as the base and give it my best attempt at making a match blend.

In this case, I mixed equal parts C&D XX Flake and XX Flake w/ Perique and these left over crumbs, pressed it into a pasta puck and gonna leave it for a couple of months and see what's up.

- - -

If it's not such hard-to-find blend, usually I just pour the tin left overs into a small mason I've dubbed "the Devil's Blend" - some weeks it's tasty, some weeks it's a disaster.

Reactions: JOHN72

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Have a jar..."Odds and Sods,"...have had it for years, talking around 1998 when I first started. Sometimes the volume is up, sometimes it's down, but there's always something in the jar, and in the perfect condition (moisture) for loading direct from the jar, no need to dry. At times, it's so good, I wish I knew the specific measurements and content. Remarkably, it's never been an off or unfavorable blend.

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I usually either smoke a partial bowl of what's left or top the bowl off with a similar blend into 1 bowl.
Maybe it's my OCD but I like to keep my blends pure in my jars or tins.
Yup. But I have no such compunctions re similar blends. I'll pack an aromatic right over latakia, or vice versa, just for sh*ts and giggles. I call it a parfait. Results are sometimes weird.

Reactions: Ebarber

Zack Miller

Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
I usually dump it into the plants, at one point I was and still have a ball jar filled of tobacco that didn't fit and maybe some day I will press it into a plug but these days I am pretty good at judging how much fits in the pipe and the few stands get dumped into the nearby plant.
You should buy your plant a pipe so it can smoke it.

• Haha
Reactions: timelord and JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When I get to the bottom of a tin there may be a bit of tobacco left that is not adequate to fill a bowl. Should I
1. Dump it into the next tin even if it is not the same blend
2. Start a can of scraps, mixing everything together until I have a full tin
3. Toss it
I do number 2 and I will say in all honest there seems to be two results from doing that. I either get the impression that blend is so easy because it's so great. Or I get more respect for the blenders because it's so blah. Never seems to go inbetween and be o.k. either amazing or terrible.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
With each bowl I add some of the finer crumbs to the top, so when I get towards the bottom of the jar there's already not many crumbs left.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I used to have a jar labeled "blend x" and the scraps of everything went in there. Now, I have a jar labeled "infinity VA". All Virginia's go in there. English blends go in the next jar/tin of the same blend. I'm not at a point now where I'll reach the end of an English blend I don't have another of the same to add the scraps to. But blend x was a bad idea. It didn't produce anything horrible, but it wasn't something I'd buy. The infinity Virginia jar has consistently produced amazing smokes. There's Samuel Gawith, Gawith and Hoggarth, McClelland, Mac Baren, Comoy's, Gl Pease, and more Virginia's in there and they all play very well together. Because the ratios are constantly changing, you get a unique smoke almost every time.

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I’d say number 2. No need to waste and sometimes those bottom of the barrel smokes are actually good. I’m actually smoking a mix of a full English and a strong vaper with blacked stoved Virginia right now. It’s hittin the spot.

I only mix and process my own whole leaf blends so I never toss it and don’t usually mix with another batch unless they are very similar and I’m not testing something new(which is quite often)

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
I toss them in a jar, but I only put similar blends in it. Mine is filled with Balkan, English, and Oriental remnants.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I don’t get much but if there’s a bit left in the jar, I’ve been putting it into a 4oz jar I labeled Virginia Surprise. Any Virginia or VaPer goes into it. Haven’t had it yet though. Only been doing that a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.