PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greezly

Lurker
Mar 23, 2012
Do you take out ashes from it ? do you clean it after each smoke? New pipe smoker question

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Empty the bowl of everything, swab the empty bowl with a bent pipe cleaner, and stick a pipe cleaner all the way through and leave it alone

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Oh well I run a pipe cleaner down the stem and bowl (if its a strait) I will wipe the bowl out with a paper towel. If its a bent I will just do the paper towel wipe and wait for it to cool to run a pipe cleaner through the stem and bowl taken apart. NEVER take a pipe a part while its still warm.
I don't suggest leaving a pipe cleaner in a pipe for too long it can acctually hold the moisture in the pipe. Let them air dry with no pipe cleaner in it. Just run the pipe cleaner to get as much of the moisture as you can. I do an alcohal dipped pipe cleaner maybe once a month since I have 30 pipes I never smoke the same pipe for more than a day unless its a meer they don't need much of a break.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
I gently tap it on the proximal part of the stem to dump anything left in it. I run a pipe cleaner through the stem to dry it up and then use it to get any left overs inside the bowl. If you want you can then bend it into a u shape and further clean the inside of the bowl. Every 5 or 10 smokes I use some Everclear on a pipe cleaner to remove any possible built up nasties.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Knock the bowl against my knuckles to dump the ash and particles.

Scoop out stubborn particles with the spoon end of a pipe nail.

Blow thru the pipe, followed by at least two pipe cleaners.

Fold the used pipe cleaners to brush out the bowl.

During break-in periods I'll stuff a paper towel in the bowl and give it several really hard twists.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
After a smoke I dump everything out.

Make sure no tobacco leftovers in bottom. (use spoon on the czech tool)

Twist a paper towel inside the bowl to help pick up excess moisture and help with cake building.

Pipe cleaner from the stem to the shank if possible.

Once it dries I'll run an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner through the stem only for a quick disinfect.

Often I'll take it off the pipe and let it dry separately.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Yep I do like these guys do but I am usually smoking Peterson System Pipes so I go ahead and pop out the stem so I can run a cleaner through the smoke hole in the shank and also pass one all the way through the stem. Because of the military mount of the System I don't wait around for the briar to cool. 8O I then leave the stem out so the pipe can dry. I've not had a problem in 3 years doing this to my Peterson's so I'm not too worried about cracking the briar. There is alot of wood around the end of the shank and the metal ring reinforces the socket.
My straight stem pipes I don't take apart except once a month or so to deep clean with alcohol.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I follow the advice Cortez offers (in fact, I am pretty sure it was one of his posts from which I built my regimen); however I differ in the paper-towel trick. I prefer to use copy-paper, and utilize this method to maintain an even cake after the break-in. I also like to get into the mortise with a q-tip (and the tenon on filter pipes).

I cap this off with a quick polish of the bowl (usually just nose-oil and a shirt-sleeve; Clapham's Salad Bowl Polish and a rag if I'm feeling fancy), and if the stem is vulcanite a quick wipe with Obsidian Stem Oil.
Also, avoid dismantling your pipes when still warm (unless you have a military-bit of spigot), as this can crack the shank.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
If your Savinelli pipe uses a balsa filter, it would be a good idea to remove it at the end of the day when you clean the pipe and replace it. A used filter will hold a lot of moisture in the pipe.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
While she is still hot, I probe the innermost recesses with my pipe-cleaner. I gently stroke her bowl with a cloth. Then she is returned to rest amongst her many sisters to await the next interlude.
(same advice as the other posts, but with a more colorful pulp-novel flair!)

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Um bobby46...we like the "G" version better no need having more than one piece of wood to worry about
The thread needed a little humor........

I think there are presently over 30 in my pipe-harem. They were each taken to a restaurant prior to any intended smoking advances.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm going to have to start trying this wiping the bowl out with a paper towel idea. I am getting tired of uneven cake.
I usually smoke everything to ash so when I am done I just nudge the ashes away from the draft hole with the spoon end of a pipe tool or tamper. Then I slide a pipe cleaner down the stem till it just pokes through the draft hole. Then I cover the bowl with the palm of my hand and shake the ashes till all is coated, dump the excess, clean the stem and draft hole with the pipe cleaner and put her on the shelf to rest. I can tell when its time to take 'er apart and clean the stem and shank with bristle and soft pipe cleaners soaked in single malt whisky.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I put it aside for 30 minutes or so and then I clean it with paper towels and pipe cleaners.

Status
Not open for further replies.