PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I graduated with a degree in psychology, went to work building bridges for the county. Ten years later got into wastewater treatment. Retired this year as a WW supervisor..........
I loved being retired this summer.................... Now, in Ohio winter, ....... not enjoying retirement so much........ I drink to excess, the wife is still working, and I want to travel some...........
These grey days are taking a toll though....... kinda stir-crazy...................
That's cool. One of the projects I'm on is a 160 million dollar WW treatment plant in NC. Its a nice break from the "clean" pharma environment. We just sent out the permit set right before the holidays.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I posted this in a similar thread when I first joined, so forgive me if you've read this before:

For the majority of my career, I mostly did freelance magazine illustration, character design and storyboards for television and film, and some graphic design. When the market crashed in 2008, combined with things shifting to the Internet, my illustration career came to a grinding halt. Craigslist single-handedly wiped out classified ads which accounted for 30% of advertising for newspapers and reduced editorial budgets as a result. Web kind of killed print media.

I had to reinvent my career and focused on graphic design (incorporating illustration in my book covers and CD and LP packages). I taught drawing part time at a college for a few years and ended up taking my first 9 to 5 gig four years ago doing graphic design for said college.

I still freelance doing magazine and book design and illustration—these projects tend to be less lucrative than previous ventures, but the projects often have more personal meaning and are satisfying on a creative level that is unsurpassed, for which I'm grateful.
What college do you work for?
I'm a former photojournalist who now works almost exclusively in higher ed in the PA/NY area.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
What college do you work for?
I'm a former photojournalist who now works almost exclusively in higher ed in the PA/NY area.
When I was 100% freelance, I had no qualms about being public with my name, etc. While I don't expect to post anything embarrassing online, with this first time 9 to 5 gig, I feel it's better to keep things vague publicly for now.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Public equity fund manager . my passion turned into my career .

I originally went to school for a BS degree in Ornamental Horticulture —greenhouse management . After a 6 month internship at a large greenhouse in CO , I decided to stay in school , double major in finance because I loved watching the stock market in the early to mid 90’s, and the rest is history .

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I should have also mentioned that for20 years I did private lending. People in and around Boston would buy properties to fix up and sell and these deals were normally 1 year in length and I was always in first position. Banks were not allowed in these deals. People paid 14% and higher to get money from us. One guy had a one year note of 16% that got snagged up in the financial crisis of 2008-09 and the poor bastard paid me 16% for over 3 years. His only way out was foreclosure and he wouldn't go that way as we would have made a chunk f dough if he had.

I always got the choice deals as the guy running it was my dads old law partner. He got introduced to the big money guys because of my dad so he always felt an obligation to me, as he should.

Reactions: SmokeRings79
Scientist in drug discovery/pharma - went into chemistry to learn how to make medicines after surviving cancer in my teens - in my 30th year of this business mostly big pharma more recently biotech. I have had a successful career but I'm ready to hang it up in 2022 I think/hope. Too political these days and sloppy science and medicine is all over the place. Truly sad.

Reactions: SmokeRings79