Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
My wife is an ICU nurse. Been on the Covid floor pretty much the entire time the last 18 months or so.
I’m an equipment operator for a steel company. Darn good with a crane, a wizard on a forklift, and I drive truck from time to time when needed.
Take care of that lady, she earns it every day I’m sure. Nursing is my last employment stop I think. ?
My past situations consisted of bricklaying/masonry, bartending, bouncing, opening & managing restaurants, selling corporate property liability insurance, and many other experiences that don’t hold a candle to taking good care of folks. ?☕

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Take care of that lady, she earns it every day I’m sure. Nursing is my last employment stop I think. ?
My past situations consisted of bricklaying/masonry, bartending, bouncing, opening & managing restaurants, selling corporate property liability insurance, and many other experiences that don’t hold a candle to taking good care of folks. ?☕
She’s a hero for sure. I definitely married up. She likes my cooking though, so she sticks around. ?

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
These day I’m trying to slow down. I do security, I’m a deputy sheriff and I lose money as a rancher. Worked for years for various government agencies until I realized too much risk, not enough reward. I have run heavy equipment, been a charter boat captain, restaurant owner. You might say either I can keep a job or I get bored easy.

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
Last 10 years I have bounced between Hewlett-Packard (engineering liaison, then Brand Quality Manager), General Motors (multitude of roles starting at the Milford Proving Grounds and ending in Vehicle Safety Advanced Analytics). Now a Senior Data Scientist in a Corporate R&D group (automotive realm).

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I graduated with a degree in psychology, went to work building bridges for the county. Ten years later got into wastewater treatment. Retired this year as a WW supervisor..........
I loved being retired this summer.................... Now, in Ohio winter, ....... not enjoying retirement so much........ I drink to excess, the wife is still working, and I want to travel some...........
These grey days are taking a toll though....... kinda stir-crazy...................

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Now, in Ohio winter, ....... not enjoying retirement so much........ I drink to excess, the wife is still working, and I want to travel some...........
These grey days are taking a toll though....... kinda stir-crazy...................
I'm an Ohio boy myself, same situation (I drink to excess). Waiting till spring to get off my ass and do something..

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I have a small organic veggie farm. Sell at markets, weekly veggie boxes, restaurants, community kitchens, food bank programs for people in need. Make some pickles and preserves too.

just started a tobacco seed website/online store as well. Mostly Intended for the Canadian market. But selling worldwide. Hoping I can make a few bucks with that.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I own a General Contracting Company with offices in the states. We primarily focus on insurance restoration work. I also created a web app that doesn't make much money yet but will soon be adding some nice enhancements and capabilities. I've purposefully let things slow down as I'm no longer interested in putting in all the hours.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I posted this in a similar thread when I first joined, so forgive me if you've read this before:

For the majority of my career, I mostly did freelance magazine illustration, character design and storyboards for television and film, and some graphic design. When the market crashed in 2008, combined with things shifting to the Internet, my illustration career came to a grinding halt. Craigslist single-handedly wiped out classified ads which accounted for 30% of advertising for newspapers and reduced editorial budgets as a result. Web kind of killed print media.

I had to reinvent my career and focused on graphic design (incorporating illustration in my book covers and CD and LP packages). I taught drawing part time at a college for a few years and ended up taking my first 9 to 5 gig four years ago doing graphic design for said college.

I still freelance doing magazine and book design and illustration—these projects tend to be less lucrative than previous ventures, but the projects often have more personal meaning and are satisfying on a creative level that is unsurpassed, for which I'm grateful.

If I take the title of the thread literally… I don’t have to do anything for a buck … my investments generate an income which is more than a buck.

Seriously though … I don’t like sharing my profession in an open internet forum, though I have divulged what I do to a few members over PM. However, if you are really interested, it takes a max of 2 google search, but I will neither confirm nor deny.