What Do You All Do for Old, Unsmoked Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clovis

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Prior to first use, what to you do to old (perhaps decades old) unsmoked pipes? Alcohol on the inside via pipe cleaner? Anything special? Thanks in advance!

Clovis

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife says I can always find something to worry about, so I will share this talent with this thread. It occurs to me that if you run the water through the old pipe, you want it to dry out really well before smoking, so you don't get any steam pressure from the rinse water heating up in the nooks and crannies of the pipe. Probably would be fine, but I'd give it a day or two to dry, then smoke away.

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
I purchased an unsmoked early Civic era Loewe this past June. I did nothing but put tobacco in it and smoked away. No issues from this 53+ year old pipe.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
If it’s dusty, blow it out with an air compressor and then load it up and smoke it. If the tenon is loose, and doesn’t tighten up from smoking it, then moisten the mortise with a damp Q-tip, put the stem back in, and let it sit for a while to tighten back up.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
At least, I would run some alcohol and pipe cleaners through the shank and stem.
Give it a critical sniff and make sure there is not hint of mold or any nasties hiding in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.