PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I loved all the Volkswagen buggys I've owned. What I'm able to do today is going to sound very cliche, but I've worked my ass off and am finally feeling some returns. I'm majoring in Philosophy at OSU in Oregon (so many beavers!), minoring in caffeine and nicotine because I will get this done, and I work part time at the community college tutoring the religion classes.

I have that habit of blabbering too much about how much I enjoy tobacco and my pipes and so I get the jokes about how I should have elbow patches. Life can be good.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Logging geologist out on North Sea oil rigs. Basically I analyse samples of the rock we drill though, and monitor a range of drilling parameters (speed, rpm, torque, pump outputs, that sort of thing). Been doing that for the last three years, before that it was University.
Rigs do have smoking rooms, but most have electric cigarette lighters, so no pipes. Every now and again I'll resort to rolling pipe tobacco.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
QA/QC Lead Inspector/coordinator for Gulf Coast Machine Shop Halliburton in LA. Been doing it for three years. Love it. for 6 years prior, i did commercial refrigeration all over the Southern states. Don't smoke at work. Too busy.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
IT Field Tech for a large pharmacy retail chain. In a nutshell, I drive to any one of thirty locations and perform computer repair work. A lot of driving and nothing really to stop me from smoking in between locations, but I pretty much limit myself to one bowl a day during the week and two, (sometimes three), a day during the weekend.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Nuclear Physicist for the Gov. Wish I could say more.
@Cosmic, really like the transplant/liquor store chain idea. Thoughts germinating as we speak.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Pipe Restorer for SPC. I get you guys clean estates and write most of the condition statements on the website. Smoking is encouraged in the building, but it can get stinky and clogged without a proper ventilation system. I usually don't smoke WHILE working.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Senior QA for a very large airplane company. No smoking on company land. Only 1 year 4 months to retirement, then I can smoke when I want.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nothing. I sit at home and draw my pension and SS. Retired in 2006 after getting tired of chasing refueling outages at various power plants in the upper midwest. Spend my time now in my little shop in the basement doing refurbs/restorations and making an occasional pipe or tamper which almost pays for my hobby.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Registered Nurse over here. I work with premature and sick infants. I don't smoke before or during work hours due to the nature of my work. I smoke on my days off or after work.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Very cool, kanada! I had two uncles who were geologists. One went into Academia becoming head of the Department of Geology at Caltech and he also taught astronauts how to gather samples on the moon for study. The other uncle went into the business of oil exploration for a major oil company. Then he decided that he would do better to develop his own finds rather than enrich a bunch of bozos, went into wildcatting and founded his own oil company. He was right.
That is too cool! I do enjoy the academic side of things but it's pretty fun to be influencing major projects at work too.
I agree on the working for yourself vs the man, that may be something I do in the future but I definitely can't complain about the money with the way things are going in industry.

lannarkgent

Lurker
Aug 20, 2014
I am a Senior Financial analyst for an aerospace company. Given that I have extensive experience in LIFO inventories and R & D tax credit filings, my current employer is pleading with me not to retire. I am Planning on retiring in March of 2016.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I run the Safety dept for a large industrial contruction company for a paying job. I am also the safety director for a local fish and wildlife league and firearms range.

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
I work as a electronic test and measurement engineer supporting the small region is South East Asia and Australia.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I sell service for Class 8 trucks at one desk at my other it is used heavy equipment,heavy trucks and industrial pipe,flanges and valves . Most recent cool things I have done . Mexico for a magnesium mine to set up a crusher and mill and Arkansas to fish for trout on the White River for a week with clients .

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I'm an architect -- well, an intern architect for another 2 years before I'll get my stamp.
Unfortunately I can not smoke at work. Would have been great if I was working in, what I've heard were, the good ole days.
PH1985_0559.jpg

Unknown photographer. Portrait of architects and advisors of UNESCO Headquarters. 1952.

Status
Not open for further replies.