Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BeardonBoards

Lurker
Jan 12, 2021
Cleveland, OH
Pipe, lighter, tamper (finger, nail, spent cartridge could all work as well), pipe cleaners. That's all you need. I'd suggest Peterson Early Morning Pipe as a decent start. Maybe move to Nightcap then 3 nuns to enjoy the nostalgia of what your father smoked. Otherwise check out a tobacconist named The Country Squire and try some of their aromatics and non-aromatics.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Pipe, lighter, tamper (finger, nail, spent cartridge could all work as well), pipe cleaners. That's all you need. I'd suggest Peterson Early Morning Pipe as a decent start. Maybe move to Nightcap then 3 nuns to enjoy the nostalgia of what your father smoked. Otherwise check out a tobacconist named The Country Squire and try some of their aromatics and non-aromatics.
You know, I need to shoot off my 410 so I could have a nice tapper. ???

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other stuff that seems to follow everything you need to smoke is a pipe rack that will soon fill up so you need another pipe rack besides; a deep condiment dish as an ash tray; a cereal size bowl of some kind for mixing some blends or condimental tobacco; a pipe case for the car or trips that will fit all the essentials; and lots of pipes of different sizes, shapes, materials, finishes, and designs; and a remarkable selection of blends of different tobaccos, cuts, brands, styles, ages, and strengths, more than you ever imagined existed. Pipe smoking requires only a few essentials and inspires endless desires.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

Agree on the minimalist approach, along with a couple of different tobaccos.

How do you know the OP is near The Country Squire? I missed that.

And where might you be?

Please put your location in your Profile as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Reactions: Kaarigar

Kaarigar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2021
San Francisco, California
Agree on the minimalist approach, along with a couple of different tobaccos.

How do you know the OP is near The Country Squire? I missed that.

And where might you be?

Please put your location in your Profile as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.
Thank you, I've set the location.

BeardonBoards

Lurker
Jan 12, 2021
Cleveland, OH
Other stuff that seems to follow everything you need to smoke is a pipe rack that will soon fill up so you need another pipe rack besides; a deep condiment dish as an ash tray; a cereal size bowl of some kind for mixing some blends or condimental tobacco; a pipe case for the car or trips that will fit all the essentials; and lots of pipes of different sizes, shapes, materials, finishes, and designs; and a remarkable selection of blends of different tobaccos, cuts, brands, styles, ages, and strengths, more than you ever imagined existed. Pipe smoking requires only a few essentials and inspires endless desires.
Definitely agree with this. I intended for this hobby to be small like the last time I tried it. only a few cobs and some tobacco. But with a 15 pipe stand that is now filled, I've tried to call it quits on pipes (except the elusive 1994 Dunhill, not rusticated I'm looking for). I have also found a liking for my nice etsy tampers made with purpleheart and spalted wood. My focus has now shifted to tobacco...

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Easy to start. Just need a pipe, and a lighter, and some tobacco. I'd recommend a lightly flavoured aromatic as a start point, such as Lane Q-1 or Captain Black Gold, since they smoke cool, have a decent flavour, and burn quite well. As well as being mild enough as too not bombard you, and have enough going on to keep you interested.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
A friend sent me a nice starter assortment of pipes, tobacco, tamping tool, and even a antique wood holder. He recommended cobs also and I've picked up three, the Carolina Gentleman, and two of the Freehand.

For me, the shape is going to be important. I love the author shape and just recently discovered the Lovat/ Lumberman,Liverpoolshape. If my bids win, I should have one by next weekend.

Reactions: jpmcwjr