PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I was a believer in the idea that thinner smokes were stronger than thicker ones, everything else being equal. I've been smoking a lot of lanceros lately and I'm no longer sure how true it is. You definitely get more wrapper influence, so if that's where the strength of a blend lies, it likely is stronger. But if the wrapper is not particularly strong or spicy and the binders and fillers are (as I suspect is the case with some Nicaraguan cigars with Ecuador wrappers), you will probably get a fuller strength experience in a medium (44-52) ring gauge. I think once you get thicker than 54 or so, you're bringing in more air with the smoke which counteracts any strength gains from additional filler tobaccos. Also, lanceros take a long ass time to smoke, and maybe the cumulative experience adds up to an ass kicking like this LFD Double Ligero lancero I'm smoking now tends to do. My own 2 cents, anyway.

View attachment 42157
I am not sure a lancero is “stronger” but, I would say that they are more ”flavorful”. I have come full circle on ring gauges. In my twenties I preferred Coronas. In my thirties it was Churchills. In my forties it was Robustos. As I near 60, I have quite a variety in the humidor but, when buying new, I definitely will opt for something between 38-42.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
El Rey del Mundo Oscuro on the deck...
Ee52qmJ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.