PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Tatuajue Tattoo good smoke, hot porch, no good, ruins the smoke, come on fall.
Fall ? It was 99 yesterday and again today, then on Tuesday we're supposed to get 3-6" of snow here in Denver. cray

Continuing yesterdays experiment with lanceros, I am smoking a My Father La Promesa. Again, very nice flavor, but not any stronger than a toro or Churchill. Some Even Williams Bonded on the rocks is the drink.

Me too!
A beautiful lazy day! Enjoying a cigar in the backyard. Smoking an Oliva Serie V Melanio in a 6 x 60 size.

It's been way too hot to smoke here in LA, and we woke up with a layer of ash on everything, but I'm a stubborn bastard, so a Melanio while the mountains burn near me.

View attachment 42109
99908014-53DC-4536-A1E8-61EA111EAE79.jpeg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Fall ? It was 99 yesterday and again today, then on Tuesday we're supposed to get 3-6" of snow here in Denver. cray

Continuing yesterdays experiment with lanceros, I am smoking a My Father La Promesa. Again, very nice flavor, but not any stronger than a toro or Churchill. Some Even Williams Bonded on the rocks is the drink.
I was a believer in the idea that thinner smokes were stronger than thicker ones, everything else being equal. I've been smoking a lot of lanceros lately and I'm no longer sure how true it is. You definitely get more wrapper influence, so if that's where the strength of a blend lies, it likely is stronger. But if the wrapper is not particularly strong or spicy and the binders and fillers are (as I suspect is the case with some Nicaraguan cigars with Ecuador wrappers), you will probably get a fuller strength experience in a medium (44-52) ring gauge. I think once you get thicker than 54 or so, you're bringing in more air with the smoke which counteracts any strength gains from additional filler tobaccos. Also, lanceros take a long ass time to smoke, and maybe the cumulative experience adds up to an ass kicking like this LFD Double Ligero lancero I'm smoking now tends to do. My own 2 cents, anyway.

20200907_181958.jpg

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I was a believer in the idea that thinner smokes were stronger than thicker ones, everything else being equal. I've been smoking a lot of lanceros lately and I'm no longer sure how true it is. You definitely get more wrapper influence, so if that's where the strength of a blend lies, it likely is stronger. But if the wrapper is not particularly strong or spicy and the binders and fillers are (as I suspect is the case with some Nicaraguan cigars with Ecuador wrappers), you will probably get a fuller strength experience in a medium (44-52) ring gauge. I think once you get thicker than 54 or so, you're bringing in more air with the smoke which counteracts any strength gains from additional filler tobaccos. Also, lanceros take a long ass time to smoke, and maybe the cumulative experience adds up to an ass kicking like this LFD Double Ligero lancero I'm smoking now tends to do. My own 2 cents, anyway.

View attachment 42157
Well it's my understanding that ligero are the uppermost, strongest leaves on the plant, so a double ligero would be a natural ass kicker. Today I had a CAO Flathead 642 lancero and again it didn't seem any stronger. I also didn't think it was that great a smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.