PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Avanti Continental.
So, I usually avoid flavored stuff - partially because I just enjoy the natural tobacco flavor, and partially because they never seem to taste that great, pipe tobacco and cigars included.

This Avanti, though, tasted EXACTLY like I was sipping on some ouzo or anisette when I lit it up, of course with the tobacco supplementing that aniseed flavor. It got less intense pretty quickly, but the flavor held throughout the smoke after mellowing. Only good if you like anise/licorice flavored stuff.

I have some De Nobilis and some Ramrods that I've yet to try, but I'm actually liking these dry cured sticks made with dark fired leaf.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
@dcon, Those Jose L Piedra cazadores are pretty decent sticks were they spedy in Russia?
I bought them when I was at the Casa del Cabana in St.Petersburg when I was there last fall. I always found Cuban machine mades to still be pretty tasty I used to love the discontinued Los Statos Deluxe.
I am going to be back in Russia this Sept. and I am already mapping out starting my tobacco cellar for my summers there

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I bought them when I was at the Casa del Cabana in St.Petersburg when I was there last fall. I always found Cuban machine mades to still be pretty tasty I used to love the discontinued Los Statos Deluxe.
I am going to be back in Russia this Sept. and I am already mapping out starting my tobacco cellar for my summers there
I've always wanted to try them. I understand they use a wrapper from a different part of Cuba than the standard Vuelta Abajo, and so I wonder how they compare to the standards. I'd also like to try some of the peso cigars, the machine made sticks that come in paper bundles from the peso markets that the regular people of Cuba smoke. When I was in Cuba, I wasn't much of a cigar smoker, but I bought a paper-bound pack of unfiltered Populares cigarettes (not the glossy filtered packs) from a peso market, and brother, they were strong. Too much for me.

Reactions: dcon and odobenus

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Angry Elf Toro. My first bundle of these was pretty good, with your typical candela hay and green tea thing going on.
This first one from my second bundle was not very good. Bitter, acrid, and chalky. Gonna let the rest of the bundle rest in the humidor for a year or so before I try another.
Major inconsistencies in product quality drives me nuts. I like to bulk buy my favorites, and I just can't commit to stocking up on something that could be good, or could be a turd. Meh.
20200229_160359.jpg

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
40dOE7n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.