Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Eastern Standard Manzanita. Had to choose a reliable favorite for this day-after-birthday smoke because yesterday's birthday-actual smoke (a beloved El Rey del Mundo Demi-tasse) was an unmitigated disaster and valuable learning experience.
Lesson learned: When you find yourself out with the cows and realize you've forgotten your guillotine, walk the several hundred yards back to the house and get the guillotine, or at least grab a sharp knife from the tractor. Because your teeth are not sharp enough -- or your brain is not sharp enough -- for the bite method, and the cap will unravel, and the top half of the stick will unravel, and smoking it foot-first like a Vietnam-era GI with a Lucky Strike is not going to prevent the rest of the wrapper from flying apart (especially when it's a delicate near-candela), and then you're smoking straight binder and the cows are looking at you like, 'this guy is supposed to be the boss?'
IMG_7951.JPG

Belated happy birthday!!!!

Eastern Standard Manzanita. Had to choose a reliable favorite for this day-after-birthday smoke because yesterday's birthday-actual smoke (a beloved El Rey del Mundo Demi-tasse) was an unmitigated disaster and valuable learning experience.
Lesson learned: When you find yourself out with the cows and realize you've forgotten your guillotine, walk the several hundred yards back to the house and get the guillotine, or at least grab a sharp knife from the tractor. Because your teeth are not sharp enough -- or your brain is not sharp enough -- for the bite method, and the cap will unravel, and the top half of the stick will unravel, and smoking it foot-first like a Vietnam-era GI with a Lucky Strike is not going to prevent the rest of the wrapper from flying apart (especially when it's a delicate near-candela), and then you're smoking straight binder and the cows are looking at you like, 'this guy is supposed to be the boss?'
View attachment 20258

Reactions: odobenus

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
View attachment 20258
I hate when that happens.
Happy belated birthday.

Reactions: odobenus

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
GMoU6Aa.jpg

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Today's stogies were a mix. This morning, I smoked a Bella Cuba shade petite corona from Holt's, which was very mild, but surprisingly good, and also surprisingly close in flavor to the descriptors on their website (cashew, light roast coffee with cream were what I got). Draw was a bit tight, but manageable. An uncomplicated but good smoke. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bundle of the Churchills at their current asking price of $30 per 20 sticks.

A little while later... you're going to laugh at me... I had a King Edward Imperial corona. Easy light, easy draw, flavor starting out was similar to how a Garden Ridge store smells when you walk in. It was a mild, brainless smoke, but not foul tasting. If I were in the habit of smoking while working or mowing the lawn (I prefer to only smoke while relaxing) then I would buy a full box and burn them down frequently. Unfortunately, though, the homogenized wrapper tends to unravel, and I ended up smoking this one without it (the binder held).

For my dinnertime stogie, I had a Gurkha Prize Fighter robusto. No offense to anyone who likes these, but I found it to be mind-numbingly bland, and found myself playing games on my phone in the meantime instead of actively enjoying the cigar. About halfway through, I got a brief flavor explosion of something herbaceous, like sage or something. It disappeared quickly and went back to bland, watery espresso and delicate notes of cardboard shipping box. Had to touch up the burn on the wrapper a few times, no biggie. The King Edward actually tasted better... I know.

Bella Cuba definitely takes the cake today.20200222_181803.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Gurkhas don't get much love on the forums -- I've never tried one and am fairly certain I never will.
The only two I've had were gifts. I wanted to like them just to be a contrarian to all the snobs at the local B&M and online. Nope, they were bad. And they were supposed to be the good Ghurkas, not the Ultra Black Ops Navy Seal Camo Killer Elite online exclusives that, like, come with an actual knife included. :LOL:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
got a gif pack of these, decidedly when it comes to cigars i'm far from being sophisticated man,
View attachment 20436
Haven't had that particular version, but I like most of the Italian Toscano-style cigars I've tried. I believe from reading your posts that you enjoy a good dark-fired Kentucky pipe tobacco (as do I), so these should be excellent for you. Plus, everyone looks like a badass when smoking a Toscano. Either Clint Eastwood in the wild west, or perhaps a wise-to-the-world mafioso taking a cafe break in Naples or something.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Haven't had that particular version, but I like most of the Italian Toscano-style cigars I've tried. I believe from reading your posts that you enjoy a good dark-fired Kentucky pipe tobacco (as do I), so these should be excellent for you. Plus, everyone looks like a badass when smoking a Toscano. Either Clint Eastwood in the wild west, or perhaps a wise-to-the-world mafioso taking a cafe break in Naples or something.
Absolutely,In my view there's No better AfterDinner PipeTobacco Thank Good quality skilfully blended Dark Fired

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
My "lazing on a Sunday afternoon" stogie from yesterday was a Rocky Patel Mulligans 19th Hole Churchill. I took my time with this one while chilling on the patio, and took about 2 hours to smoke it to the pushed-back band.

This particular cigar was rolled a little tight, and the resulting draw was tight as well, but loosened up gradually throughout the smoke. It was very mild in both flavor and strength, with very creamy coffee as the main flavor and a nutty quality of almond or cashew. The flavor remained pleasant throughout the entire stick. Seeing as that I prefer milder cigars, I enjoyed it quite a bit and don't regret buying a 20ct.
20200223_132354.jpg20200223_150135.jpg

Edit: to remove unnecessary extra photo and add details.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
My "lazing on a Sunday afternoon" stogie from yesterday was a Rocky Patel Mulligans 19th Hole Churchill. I took my time with this one while chilling on the patio, and took about 2 hours to smoke it to the pushed-back band.

This particular cigar was rolled a little tight, and the resulting draw was tight as well, but loosened up gradually throughout the smoke. It was very mild in both flavor and strength, with very creamy coffee as the main flavor and a nutty quality of almond or cashew. The flavor remained pleasant throughout the entire stick. Seeing as that I prefer milder cigars, I enjoyed it quite a bit and don't regret buying a 20ct.
View attachment 20511View attachment 20512

Edit: to remove unnecessary extra photo and add details.
Hard to beat a good Churchill when you just want to puff on a cigar for a couple hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.