PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I was just talking about this with an indigenous friend of mine from Brazil. He smokes a strong black rope tobacco flavoured with some herbs from the Amazon. His supply is small scale grown tobacco that is supposedly "organic"
The herbs take the edge off a little bit, but it is far too strong for me. It gave me the dry heaves after a bowl. I tried it without the herbs and it was the same. It felt like I was smoking straight perique. I can handle a bowl of nightcap just fine, for reference. This would be about 10 notches above that, from what I felt.
My friend took me to a tribe of Tupi Guarani near Sao Paulo. They use large pipes for daily use, which is basically a block of wood with angular carvings. But, they also have some ornamental pipes of various forest creatures. Those don't seem to be used much though.
The one very interesting thing I saw was a group of kids, no more than 9 years old, smoking pipes. I did a triple take on that one. Nobody cares.
We were later in their ceremonial lodge for the evening and everyone was smoking a pipe. So much, you could hardly make out a person on the other side of the room. Not wanting to offend anyone, I asked if it was ok for me to smoke too. It was fine. When I pulled out my bent apple and loaded it with my own tobacco, they howled. I didn't speak Portuguese so well at the time, but the gist of it was that I was smoking a pipe suitable for an infant.
Here's the typical style of pipe. I have one of these, and an ornamental ant-eater pipe. The large block pipe has a bamboo shank on mine. Instead of cleaning it, you just swap it out with a new one when the gunk is too much. Very cool smoking pipe, but I rarely use it.
depositphotos_166284930-stock-video-indigenous-woman-smoking-pipes-in.jpg

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
@unadoptedlamp - thanks for posting that personal account & photo. What a great experience that must have been for you !

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
unadopted, great firsthand experience and photo. I like their reaction to a standard probably Group 4 pipe! I think less processed leaf from here would also be a really rough smoke for most of us.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
I do know they blended with herbs.Some herbs they used were Damania(not sure if I spelled right),mullein,etc...I found A good herbal link...Interesting to say the least. http://www.askaprepper.com/23-medicinal-plants-native-americans-used-daily-basis/

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
There were/are so many different tribes over a vast area. I imagine the blends they used and the methods & conditions under which they smoked varied widely. Did native peoples from the eastern United States smoke the same as people living in Peru ? Perhaps not.

wendell

Lurker
Dec 19, 2018
I am part Abenaki indian and part Scottish. native folks around new england had a veriety of tobacco called mohawk tobacco. the tobacco before contact did not have the chemicals in it that todays does. and it was different than todays. To native peoples tobacco is a sacred plant and used for cerimonial reasons or as medicine. Herbs such as , mullien, comfrey and coltsfoot are lung medicines and are smoked to promote healing.

The term "peace pipe " is a farce and considerd offensive by many . It is a cerimonial pipe and is a sacred thing , carried by certian people with certain teachings and responcibilities. and NO, pot wasn't smoked in it!! we didn't smoke to get high , and what we smoke would NOT get us high . It is sacred medicine! called kinnik .. some say kinnikinik.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
The ceremony I was privileged to witness was all about gratefulness and giving thanks. Thankfulness to the air, water, land, plants, animals, etc. I was humbled and found myself with tears in my eyes as I suddenly felt very selfish and ungrateful for the things I had been taking for granted for so long. My outlook on many things changed that day.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
This doesn’t say what Indians smoked, but it does tell us what some of them smoked it in.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipestone_National_Monument

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Yeah curl,Pipestone is also referred to as bloodstone. I had a pipe that I misplaced that was bloodstone.Gosh,I still wish I had it.I guess legend says it was a stone of peoples blood that stained and made up the stone. :)

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
We have lots and lots of mullen around here in Colorado. Do you know how the cured it? It really seems that the leafs are too thick to dry like you do,tabacco.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Peace pipe consisted of a combination of willow bark, wild weed(cannibis) and buffalo dung.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Here are some images from our Museum...
18515324-orig.jpg

18515328-orig.jpg

18515327-orig.jpg

18515334-orig.jpg

18515333-orig.jpg

18515325-orig.jpg

18515326-orig.jpg

18515335-orig.jpg

This one is not from Pennsylvania, but a Western Plains example.
18515336-orig.jpg

Don

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Don-
That's a great display! Were the pieces carbon dated, or some other method of dating?
Particularly interesting is the cutty shape around 1640! Also extraordinary is the embossing on the 1000 AD pipe bowl.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you.

Our Museum has an extensive Archaeology collection that number into the millions of artifacts.

I do not know how the pieces were dated other than being found within a particular site and the research conducted of those sites. I know we have done some carbon dating of specific artifacts, the next time I am working with our Archaeologists I will press them for more information.

Some of those pieces are quite extraordinary and I enjoy being able to work in such an interesting place.
Don

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
In the photos above, the white clay pipes from 1640-1750 AD caught my immediate attention. England had a thriving pipe making industry at that time and exported many clay pipes based on original native designs. Many of those English pipes were sent back to North America and were traded to and used by native peoples.
The Dutch also made a lot of clay pipes back then.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The term is debatable, at best. We could really get into some scholarly debate about 'indians'. We're using English here, but some other languages such as Castilian refer to inhabitants of the Indian subcontinent as 'hindoos' (hindúes); whenever they use the term 'indian' (indio, indios) they always mean American indians. You could challenge the Real Academia de la Lengua on that, but you wouldn't win. A Chinese man once told me that in China they call them 'hindoos' as well.
Interestingly, you may have a bit of a point nonetheless. It is said that the 'native' Americans were called 'indians' by the Spaniards because Columbus named them so upon disembarking in San Salvador, as he believed he had arrived to India. Go figure.
Anyway, we could use the term West Indies to refer to America, and West Indians to the people the Europeans found here. Just don't call them 'First Nations', because most of them weren't first.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Sorry if my use of Indian offend anyone. I'm an old fart who grew up on John Wayne and he never had problems with Native Americans, just Indians.

Status
Not open for further replies.