PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
I'd really like to hear about what colors you guys are using to re-stain pipes. Even better would be pictures. Is anyone using light colors like the tans, yellow, etc? I've only used dark colors in the red and orange, black and dark brown hues.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I am in the process of restoring my first estate pipe, learning a lot in the process. The only Fieblings dye I have on hand is Mahogany. On leather, it is a rich red brown colour, but when I stained the briar of my pipe it became a more Violet purple colour. Surprised me, but it is quite attractive. I'll post pictures soon.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I finished a Savinelli series III with Fiebings mahogany, mineral oil, and wax just yesterday. I put the Fiebings on, let it dry, and then sanded most of it off. It penetrated into what I believe are the softer parts of the grain and turned out as a nice contrast. I believe the contrast would be more extreme if I had used something like USMC black. I will try to post a photo tomorrow.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not for restorations, but pipes I carved. Light brown, medium brown, U. S. M. C. black, oxblood, and blue.
img_20130630_1608522-600x450.jpg

img_20130710_125533-600x450.jpg

img_20130725_0943121-600x450.jpg

img_20130806_1546592-600x450.jpg

img_20130820_1013553-600x450.jpg

img_20130901_1258431-600x450.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
When my daughter and I were having fun with tie dye, I used a lot of purple and green.
I was advised by someone in the pipe community, not to wear the shirts while smoking, lest someone questioned what I was smoking. Good advice.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
sav-404-150x112.jpg

This is the Sav 404 I recently did with Mahogany. As Leatherman said, it goes on kind of purple but sands off nicely. I mixed some of the stain with straight alcohol and it makes a bright red semi-transparent wash.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
This is a shot of the pipe I just revived, my first attempt at restoring an estate pipe. Stained with Fieblings Mahogany.
img_20171223_125139-600x450.jpg

Retrogrouch, what kind of wax did you use?

Reactions: Osirus

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
Really been digging russet for blast as of late. Hit it with a sisal wheel to pull back some highlights.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I use Fiebings leather dye for most of the pipe restorations I have done.

I use alcohol to thin out the Fiebings a bit. This restoration was done on an old kaywoodie "white briar" the pipes that Kaywoodie painted white for some unknown reason. This pipe did have to very small sand pit fills after I sanded off all that hideous white paint. When I decided to stain this pipe I was trying for a Danish contrast type stain. So black was first applied then sanded off.Then a diluted yellow stain for the contrast. I was :eek: Shocked at the result! this old pipe has beautiful grain patterns to me.

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In an article on pipe restoration written back in 1993 for Tobak News and Views, the official publication of The Pipe Collectors International, I recall that the author indicated that he used leather dye: light tan for brown finishes, maroon to match Bruyere or Belevedere, and a mixture of maroon, navy, and black for Shells. He also noted that he diluted the dyes with grain alcohol in a three-to-one ratio. If memory serves, he also stated that he "burned in" the color by igniting the bowl immediately after the dye was applied, a process that he repeated twice, allowing the bowl to dry thoroughly between coats.
I have used Fiebing's leather dyes for years, and have always been pleased with the results.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks very much Chasingembers. I appreciate the assist with the photo, no idea what I am doing wrong. Your pipes turned out really well. I hope to get this good someday.
Leatherman, I used Hut Perfect Pen Polish. It is listed as a mix of carnauba wax and white tripoli. I put it on thick on my 8 inch buffer/grinder and then do a final buff by hand. This removes any excess wax on the surface. This is my first unfinished pipe and I am still learning/experimenting. I am using the HUT product more from convenience than any real affection for it. It was available at a shop near my home. I probably need to make the trip to the big wood workers supply further away to see if they have pure carnauba in stock. Your pipe looks really good. It also looks quite a bit redder than mine. I was pretty aggressive sanding after the dye and I wonder if it manifests in less color saturation overall.
Jeffro, that pipe looks way better than a white painted stummel. Excellent work.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Tan is pretty orange I find:
GjwOdlI.jpg

I use chocolate for everything else just about!
91fpL7b.jpg

PiH4qn6.jpg

How you treat it is more important than the actual color!
Zgt1tqs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.