PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I've read that their quality control guides every step of production, and that in the end it is formidable, and very successful.
Their construction is mostly hit, but there are plenty of misses. I had a 2014 Forbidden Opus a couple months ago and was rolled just sloppy as all get out. I think I got it in a trade, which softens the blow, but these are $30-40 cigars - there is no excuse for construction issues underneath that kind of pricetag considering all it takes is a better roller taking a little extra time. Some of their more-affordable lines can be lacking in terms of construction as well, but I guess rollers have to learn on something. (They have a rolling school at their main factory in the DR, and those can be purchased very affordably).

I've been smoking cigars since 2005, so while not a veteran or old pro, I've been around the block and tried a lot of what's out there (though I don't chase much in the way of new). Quality control is like any other industry; the marketing will laud their attention to detail and how they're better than the rest, but ultimately, you get good quality and bad quality, many times in the same box.

Now Davidoff, while I haven't smoked hundreds of them, always seem to be constructed well, which may be why they are priced like they are.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Their construction is mostly hit, but there are plenty of misses. I had a 2014 Forbidden Opus a couple months ago and was rolled just sloppy as all get out. I think I got it in a trade, which softens the blow, but these are $30-40 cigars - there is no excuse for construction issues underneath that kind of pricetag considering all it takes is a better roller taking a little extra time. Some of their more-affordable lines can be lacking in terms of construction as well, but I guess rollers have to learn on something. (They have a rolling school at their main factory in the DR, and those can be purchased very affordably).

I've been smoking cigars since 2005, so while not a veteran or old pro, I've been around the block and tried a lot of what's out there (though I don't chase much in the way of new). Quality control is like any other industry; the marketing will laud their attention to detail and how they're better than the rest, but ultimately, you get good quality and bad quality, many times in the same box.

Now Davidoff, while I haven't smoked hundreds of them, always seem to be constructed well, which may be why they are priced like they are.
What I know about Fuente is from reading and what you know from smoke, which when reported by a conscientious smoker, tops reading every time.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Another Dapper cigar today, a Desvalido Toro. Good, but I prefer the flavor profile of the El Borracho, which seems richer and more interesting. Knob Creek Small Batch on the side.
I almost bought one of those today. I was trying to decide between the Desvalido, Borracho and The Tabernacle. I think the Borrachos are excellent, though I have only had the original/red/Mexican wrapped version, not the blue/broadleaf ones. I had one Desvalido and felt like I needed another to get a better feel for it. Decided to go in another direction, but I like Dapper. The Cubos are pretty good too!

Status
Not open for further replies.