PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Uguccione

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
Toscano Originale
It has been my daily cigar for twenty years. Amazing quality/price ratio. Made entirely (wrap and filling) with American Kentucky. This is why it is called "Originale", since the first Tuscan cigars were made with Kentucky imported from the United States. Then, given the success of the cigar, Kentucky began to be cultivated in Italy too.
Personally I prefer American Kentucky, I find it less aggressive and more aromatic.

andysc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2012
Laurens, South Carolina
2014 RyJ Churchill

PXL_20240323_015933237.PORTRAIT.jpg

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
Can anyone suggest some cigars I might like given my piping tastes?

I love me some dark, strong blends like Ten Russians, Nightcap, War Horse Green, 1792, but also Maltese Falcon, among others. Haven't smoked a cigar in probably twenty years, so it's all foreign to me.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

@DeaconPiper Cigars and pipes taste different to me, so I cannot really recommend based on taste.

However if you are looking for a cigar with a strong nicotine hit, 601 Blue Label Maduro is the strongest I have tasted. Also cigars with Nicaraguan Ligero leaf and Brazilian Arapiraca leaf tend to be stronger in Nicotine.

In terms of pure taste only, I like Padron 1926 Natural, Oliva Serie V Melanio, many offerings from Robert Caldwell (Specially “The King is Dead”) and almost any made by AJ Fernandez, My Father Le Bijou 1922 and many others

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN

I love me some dark, strong blends like Ten Russians, Nightcap, War Horse Green, 1792, but also Maltese Falcon, among others. Haven't smoked a cigar in probably twenty years, so it's all foreign to me.

Yeah, as cshubhra said, they're so different.

For what it's worth, it took me 2 years of cigar smoking, exploring, etc. to even start to understand what I liked. And along the way I really struggled with the cost- $10 to $20 for something that's "meh" is still tough for me.

But I bought, and sampled, and it was worth it.

Best cigar advice I ever got- let them rest. 2 months minimum, 6 months ideal.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA

It’s apples and oranges trying to compare cigars to those blends. I’m the same with my pipe tobacco, I enjoy dark strong blends and mostly smoke English blends. If you like strong and dark, look for cigars with Maduro or Oscuro wrappers, those tend to give the bold, dark flavor you’re looking for. I pretty much only buy Maduro or Oscuro sticks, with a few exceptions.

Some of my favorite cigars, in no particular order:

Alec Bradley Black Market
Joya de Nicaragua Antaño Dark Corojo (some serious nicotine in this one!)
5 Vegas AAA
Oliva Serie G,O, or V maduros
My Father Le Bijou 1922
Trinidad Espiritu No. 2
Punch Gran Puro Nicaragua
Partagas Black Label
Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 Maduro

Try some out and throw them up here in this thread and let us know what you’re digging 👍

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN

I find myself feeling like a bit of a jerk for not providing specific recommendations when you asked for them.

I will second mtwaller's recommendation of "le Bijou" by My Father.

I would also recommend Flor de las Antillas, again by My Father. Simply because I think it is a great value.

My neighbor and I, with generally different preferences, both enjoy Pledge Prequel by E.P. Carrillo. This cigar received some seriously high marks that in our opinion are well deserved.

I hope you find something useful here. And please know that we'd love for you to come back and post about your journey.