PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I'm alternating between 4 books right now, they are:
1. Lost City of The Monkey God by Douglas Preston (Almost finished)

2. Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley (About 50% way through)

3. Ripper: The Secret Life of Walter Sickert by Patricia Cornwell (About 40% of the way through)

4. The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (About 60% through)

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Markthelad pick up Stephen Knight's jtr the final solution. Close fit to known facts about sickert et al and does not go into menstrual cycles ad nauseam

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Thanks bobo, I will look for it.

I am a voracious reader of most things involving the Ripper, even if I beleive the theories to be horse puckey.

I love that time period and find most material concerning that era to be interesting, I think I would have fit in very well.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I'm finally reading "The Tenants of Time," Flanagan's sequel to the "The Year of the French."
Given how many times I've re-read TYOTF, I thought it was finally time. To say TYOTF is important to me. . . well. . .I talked about it here:
GETTING MY IRISH UP
TTOT is developing nicely. Like Flanagan's first work, it takes 50 or 75 pages to get into the rhythm of his prose, but he's worth the effort.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Louis XIV: A Royal Life by Olivier Bernier

Rediscovering Americanism by Mark Levin

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I am a voracious reader of most things involving the Ripper, even if I beleive the theories to be horse puckey.

I love that time period and find most material concerning that era to be interesting, I think I would have fit in very well.

Same here, Mark. Several printings of the Knight book can be had for a buck or two plus shipping on Amazon.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Bobo, whose soul has been exploring the cosmos since 2006

DSC00011.JPG

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe."
I have that Andrew and though a short book it describes the catastrophe well despite it not happening in his time. He was a journalist so was able to source original facts to compile his very well written story. I have read that one at least twice.
Markthelad, I too am interested in crime from that era and there are many books to choose from that cover crime generally and particular crimes (invariably murders). There are plenty available for free download to users of Kindles etc.
The last novel I read was 'Diary Of A Nobody' by George and Weedon Grossmith. Though dated to 1892 it was way ahead of its time regards humour. I would highly recommend it as it makes for hilarious reading from page 1. That too is available free to download onto various reading devices.
Regards,
Jay.

Regards,
Jay.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Just finished re-reading "The Explorer" by Somerset Maugham
Almost finished "Sharpe's Fortress" by Bernard Cornwell; third book (chronologically) in the British soldier Richard Sharpe series of books taking place in India and Europe in the early 1800s.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
"A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe."
I have that Andrew and though a short book it describes the catastrophe well despite it not happening in his time. He was a journalist so was able to source original facts to compile his very well written story. I have read that one at least twice.
I was under the impression it was based around his uncles diary. I'm glad it's short as whilst interesting it's not the happiest read.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Jay, if you are enjoying the Peter Gilliver work, I'd highly recommend; "The Surgeon of Crowthorne: A Tale of Murder, Madness and the Love of Words" by Simon Winchester. It was released in the U.S. and Canada as "The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary."
- Michael

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Douglas MacArthur by Arthur Herman

Eisenhower's Armies: The American-British Alliance during World War II by Naill Barr

The Titans by Bernard A. Weisberger

How Chance and Stupidity Have Changed History: The Hi8nge Factor by Erik Durschmied

Sons of the Lion by Anne Hillerman

Last King of the Sports Page by Ted Geltner
An aside: I'm very happy that Tony's daughter picked up the fallen gauntlet. She's spins a great yarn building on her father's legacy.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
Nothing fun. CISSP study guide for training course/certification exam next week. Ugh.

Jan 8, 2013
I am currently re-reading The Green Rider, by Kristen Britain. I first read this book way back in 1998 when the book was released, so I suppose I was around 24 years old. I picked the book up on a whim... ok, actually because of the cover art. I was a huge fan (still am) of Keith Parkinson. I can identify his artwork even if it's a piece of his I had never seen before. The man was, in my opinion, the greatest fantasy artist of all time. Frazetta, Kelly, and Elmore and the others are all great as well, but Parkinson made the scene he was painting come to life. I was saddened when he passed away a few years ago.
Enough about Parkinson and back to the book, though. I loved this book. I mean, I really LOVED this book! It was a fun read. All these years since when the topic of favorite books came up, I have always mentioned this one. But strangely enough I never re-read it! So now, nearly 20 years later, I'm finally reading it again. And I can't remember any of it, which only makes it that much better, because I'm enjoying it again, as much as I did the first time.
Ah.... almost forgot.... there's a little bit of pipe smoking here and there in this novel.
And one more thing.... The cover art from the late great Keith Parkinson.
bc2e21a6bb5b5b8e8d94d47fe5c1d24f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.