PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As a voracious reader of books I thought it might be interesting to see what forum members are currently reading.
My favourite topics are history (both social and industrial), anthropology, modern science, the occasional biography and anything on philology/lexicography.
I invariably have several books on the go at any one time and currently I'm reading 'Charles Dickens: A Life' by the excellent biographer Claire Tomalin (her biography of Samuel Pepys I have read three times!), 'Freedom Just Around The Corner' by Walter A. McDougall and 'The Making Of The Oxford English Dictionary' by Peter Gilliver who is currently working as an editor for the OED. Of all the books I have read on this subject (and there are many) this is the most academic.
So folks, what books do you like to read whilst enjoying a bowl of your preferred leaf?
Regards,
Jay.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
"Without Remorse" by Tom Clancy.
In the queue are "Truman" by David McCullough and "Churchill" by Martin Gilbert.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh boy. I'm glad you asked. My great aunt, who I remember in her nineties when I was a child, was married for a time to the writer and friend of the Blackfeet tribe James Willard Schultz. He wrote a whole shelf of books about his life with the Blackfeet and their lives. I'm reading one of his books, Bird Woman, about Sacajawea, a member of the Snake tribe who accompanied Lewis and Clark on their expedition. I think Schultz had much innate writing talent but also trained well with the Blackfeet as a storyteller in the oral tradition, so he gets ahold of the reader and puts you in a trance. If you'd like to take a look, I'd recommend My Life as an Indian, by James Willard Schultz.
My Aunt Celia was somewhat slandered in a biography of Schultz, because the biographer was using Schultz's third wife as a resource, and of course she wouldn't think much of his second wife. His first wife was a Blackfeet and bore him a son who was a successful artist, painter and sculptor. The biography had it that Celia was kind of a shop girl adventurer who married up. She was actually the daughter of a successful real estate developer and first mayor of a lake shore suburb of Chicago; she was spoiled, married late, but as much as I admire Schultz as a writer, I'd say she married down. I published an article defending my long-deceased Great Aunt pointing out this discrepancy.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I am slowly but surely working my way through the Maigret novels by Georges Simenon. I have read about 15 now with many more to go. Simenon, as well as being a great pipeman, was an exceptionally prolific writer.
Mike

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe.
Next up will be The Mayor of Casterbridge by my favourite author Thomas Hardy.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Brent Weeks' "The way of shadows"
I read 2-4 books a month and they are my No1 money burner. Can't live without them. Usually they are fantasy, sci-fi, social psychology studies, crime thrillers or horror. :P

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Haunted Bookshop.

Cosmic, I started that one just to get a taste of what it was about recently, but didn't get back to it yet. I am sure you know the reason for my interest. Are you enjoying it?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The Perfect Smoke by Fred Hanna

Sherlock Holmes- A.C. Doyle, on audio books.

Dead Wake (re: Lusitania)- Eric Larson- also audio.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Cosmic, I started that one just to get a taste of what it was about recently, but didn't get back to it yet. I am sure you know the reason for my interest. Are you enjoying it?
Bluegrasspipe, yes, I am not far into it, but I am enjoying it. Very easy reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.