PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donpumsey

Lurker
Feb 10, 2019
Thanks Hap! I'll put both of those on my list. I really love audio books. I do landscaping for a living so I can listen to them all day at work. What an amazing time that we live in, when the average blue collar worker can spend eight to ten hours a day becoming well read (or well listened I suppose.)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Don, I'm a self admitted Audible whore. I have a shitload of books in my library. I do quite a bit of steering wheel time going to and from assignments and good books make the miles fly.
So much so that I don't use my radio anymore, not that I'm missing anything.

donpumsey

Lurker
Feb 10, 2019
:lol: Audible whore! That sounds about right for me as well. I should buy stock. It really does make the day go by though. And I love the feeling that I've not only gotten my work done, but engaged my mind in a way that manual labor does not usually allow.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
What would you suggest by Chesterton?

Heretics is the companion to Orthodoxy. Don't miss it. The characters he criticises are from his time, but the ideas don't really go away, do they? They just get recycled.
Father Brown is good too, and it features pipe and cigar smoking! :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I am ten pages from being finished with Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
I really like how Dostoevsky intertwines philosophical ideas and questions into his narrative. Brothers K is one of my favorite books.
dfo, same here. This is the first of his novels that I have attempted but it certainly will not be the last. I'll take your suggestion and The Brothers Karamazov will be next on my list.
Big +1.
I’ve read all of his novels twice except the Adolescent...that one only once so far but it will get a second read soon...and almost all of his shorter stories.
The Brothers Karamazov is truly a masterpiece...and I will no doubt read it again at least a third time at some point. The translations by Pevear and Volokhonsky are the ones I've read for his novels, and the consensus seems to be that they are the best. The Idiot and Demons are must reads as well, but TBK is the pinnacle of his art.

scottfree

Lurker
Feb 14, 2019
'A Peoples History of the United States' by Howard Zinn, and 'America: The Farewell Tour' by Chris Hedges.

Oct 7, 2016
Diarmaid MacCulloch "Thomas Cromwell", a good (if a tad dense so far) read if you are a fan of Hilary Mantel's "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies".

Oct 7, 2016
@dfo, very true,but I find such things as the explanations of the various family relationships, which were admittedly extraordinarily important in that era, to be tough sledding regardless of who is doing the explaining

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The Big Picture by Sean Carroll. This treatise on poetic naturalism isn't up to his previous works on the Higgs boson, and the quest for a theory of time. Hopefully, his next book (I think it's on quantum theory) will be better.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
+1 Orthodoxy

+1 Screwtape Letters (I thought this one was hilarious)

+++1 The Brothers Karamozov (Probably my favorite book. Definitely top 3.)
Boy, there are some folks with great literary taste on this site, in addition to good taste in tobacco!
Currently reading a couple of textbooks on St. Paul.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
"Erebus" by Michael Palin. Highly recommendend if you're into maritime history. Well researched and very entertaining writing. Before that, "The End" by Ian Kershaw. He deals with the question why the Germans kept on fighting after June of 1944, when to almost all concerned it was pretty obvious they had lost the war.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
The Bear and the Nightingale - a novel set in Medieval Russia in the winter. Quite different than what I usually read. It's mood matches the snow and 8F temperature here outside

johnbrody15

Lurker
Feb 16, 2019
The Odyssey -- Decided I need to familiarize or re familiarize myself with the classics. I'm doing the Cliff notes on this one because I want the breakdown of the story, characters, and themes, without all the readin' and stuff. Maybe I'll revisit the actual text to get a glimpse of the art of the actual writing.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The Order Of Time, a non-technical book by theorectical physicist Carlo Rovelli,

who's in the Loop Quantum Gravity camp -- as opposed to string theory.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I finished "Shake Hands with the Devil: the Failure of Humanity in Rwanda" by General Romeo Dallaire.
He was the Force Commander of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Rwanda prior to and during the 1994 genocide.
A heavy read. I could only read so much at a time.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’m on book 12 of the military history fiction series of “Marching With Caesar” by R. W. Peake. I’m also going through the Great Lecture series on the complete history of Rome. Historical Military fiction (or factual) reading is my usual genre when sitting outside and sipping a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.