What Blend Have You Discovered This Year?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
With 2017 coming to an end; time for some reflection and sharing. What blend have you "discovered" that really sings to you. This could be a blend that is a new production or an old time blend that you first sampled this year. For me Hearth and Home El Nino is my winner. It's a tasty mix of virginias, perique, dark fired, and a bit of cavendish that I have a dedicated cob for that I keep reaching for every day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Erin Go Braugh, whiskey aro; John Bull English; and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic; all bought in pouches from PC. Surprisingly good. SWRA is burley based, with Virginia as a condiment, and lightly flavored with three liqueurs. All three surprised me, as pouch tobaccos, with their good flavor and subtlety.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Although my piping career began this year, I've studiously applied myself.
I quickly decided to pursue more natural tobacco products and have been pleased and impressed most every step of the way.
From my first taste of John Cotton's #1 and Viprati, I had set a reasonably high bar for myself.
After suffering through McClelland's Red & Black, I had been steering myself away from Virginias and flakes.
The acquisition of some of foggymountain's aged ODF was a definite turning point for me. I've just gotten another pound of it for cellaring.
At risk of sounding mutinous, the ODF rides on the heels of the Black Frigate in the #1 spot.
It's been a good first year!
jay-roger.jpg

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
GLP Stonehenge Flake. I've really been enjoying this one a lot lately

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Mark Ryan's Acadian Bright, Greg Pease's Navigator, a five year old blend of Esoterica Kingsbridge and Blackpool.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
To echo a bit of what jaytex said:

This has been my 1st full year of pipe smoking and I have been trying to learn and smoke as many tobaccos as I can. So this a been a year of a lot of 1st smokes. Some have been good and some not so good. I have been surprised at how much my tastes have evolved.
So..#1-Escudo-This really opened the door for me to appreciate a more natural and stronger flavored tobacco. The creaminess of the VA and that zing of the perique completely broadened my horizons on just how different and amazing tobacco could be.
#2-Esoterica Stonehaven-I have tried about 5 Esoterica blends at this point and Stonehaven lives up to the hype(if not the price gouging). Just a creamy, rich and satisfying smoke. It is my morning smoke with coffee.
#3-Peterson Irish Flake-I got into burleys in a big way this year and this has risen to the top of the pack for me. I love the mellow tea like flavor and strength of this. It lends itself perfectly to a nice and slow after dinner smoke. Completely satisfies.
So a good year I think. I have been recently stocking up and smoking and learning about straight VAs(enjoying Dark Star now). So I am sure my list will have all new favorites next year.
Thanks for listening.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Why yes it was, completely random internet person. I smoked that right up. How aged was that? I have gotten some bags and one was fairly new(a year) and it didn't quite have the depth of and older one I also smoked.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I've been enjoying the stinky goodness of St. Bruno ever since I sampled it in the Box Pass. All the stress and tedium just melts away when I taste that stuff. Oh, and the scented Gawiths have me by the short hairs now. :)

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
This year has been an awesome year of tasting and trying new things. I never thought that Id fall so hard for any kind of Aromatic but I absolutely love Exotic Orange and Condor(Thank you Simon!!!! You have turned me into a Condorbeast!).

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
Three for me--Stonehaven, Old Dark Fired, and Bold Kentucky. I'm a new fan of these three, especially the Old Dark Fired. Guess I discovered Kentucky blends this year. Also , most recently, discovered McClellan 40th Anniv. Looks like it's been a good 2017!

Status
Not open for further replies.