Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
When did they change Half and Half?

Seems wrong to change a classic in theory (whether tobacco or otherwise) and almost never works in practice.
I smoked only half and half for years, before discovering Prince Albert. It used to come in fold top pouch, and was boxed like Prince Albert still is. I bought some a few years ago in a gas station, but it’s now in a sealed roll up pouch, like Borkum Riff. The cut was more of a nice ribbon than I remember it being. It burned my tongue so bad I couldn’t smoke comfortably for days. I’m not sure when it changed exactly, but a few years ago anyway.

Mar 1, 2014
SG Full Virginia Flake.
I opened my 6 year old jar of FVF recently, still can't figure out why anyone likes it.

St. James Flake on the other hand is amazing, so it seems I'm more a fan of Perique than Virginia, or at least Bright Virginia. There are a variety of aged VA blends I do enjoy, it may be bright VA specifically does not agree with me, it just seems harsh and reminds me of burning hair.

Reactions: JOHN72

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
The only one thus far to turn my stomach was 4Noggins Weybridge.
There have been plenty of tobaccos I've disliked, but Weybridge was the only one I've hated.

I'd strongly dislike any cigar leaf blend, as well.

I recently dumped out my first bowl of Crooner, half way through, and re-homed the rest of the ounce to somebody here. Strongly disliked it.

The batch of 515 RC I got may have been over-sauced with vinegar...it had way, way, way more vinegar going on than McC 5100 ever did. I'm ok with hint of vinegar, but this was insane and I strongly disliked it.

Dunhill 965 struck me as the most one-dimensional piece of leather I'd ever smoked, even back when I was a full-bore English guy. I was all about latakia blends, back then, but 965 tasted like licking a strop of leather, with absolutely nothing else going on. Wound up very turned off by it.

Finally, I'd just mention whatever the common denominator is in run-of-the-mill, store-branded aromatics in bulk jars on B&M counters. They all smell like playdough to me, now. Kind of hate it.