PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
Title edited. Rule 9.

I know tastes are varied and extremely personal but I’m just curious if there is a blend that you’ve tried that you just absolutely couldn’t stand.

In my short time smoking I’ve tried a lot of different blends thanks to a slight obsession and some generous folks and the only blend that I’ve knocked out of my pipe mid-bowl and said, “Nope, I hate it, not worth it” is Haunted Bookshop. To me it was extremely harsh and bitter with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There are blends I won't buy. But, I do not waste emotions on inanimate objects. So, nothing I hate nor love. There are 5 or 6 blends I prefer more than others, IRC 3Star Blue being one. And, there were many blends which after two or three bowls, I tossed. But, I've been smoking pipes for close to 60 years. There was a flake, I forget the name, which was unacceptable when I opened the tin. I simply couldn't handle handle the aroma. Might have been a great smoke though. I'll never know.

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
@jwesthurl I felt the same way about Haunted Bookshop. It was just a cigarette. 6 months in a jar later I loved it. I still haven't been able to get into stonehenge or burley flake #1. They're very dry, and seem to be coated in something?

I also do not like Half and half, or Velvet, for the reasons I didn't like HB at first. I just taste cigarette.

Tastes change with time, so I always try to jar and re-visit blends. I gave away a couple almost a year ago now and I can't remember what they were.

Hate is a strong word though, so to answer the original question, no I don't yet have any blends that I hate.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I wouldn't say I hate it, but anything with Kentucky Fire Cured isn't for me. I just can't stand the overpowering smoke. If I want smoke I'll crack a Latakia blend or enjoy some Islay whisky.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
The only blend I've had an experience like the OP was with Crooner. I didn't dump it out, I finished the bowl. Just tasted sour to me. I jarred it and am going back to it because I just can't base my opinion of a blend on just one bowl. Could have been any number of reasons I disliked it at the time. We'll see when I fire it up again.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Hate is too strong a word. I don't think I've gotten to that point with any blend, not even Englishes.

Of course, there's more than taste to like/dislike. If a given blend/genre starts being hyped to the sky I'm likely to develop a strong aversion to it—unless it was already a favourite.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Royal Yacht was not tasty at all to me fresh out of the tin. Six months in a jar and the topping has faded and now it tastes like a decent Virginia.

Blends with a heavy Lakeland sauce are not my thing, but they are in a jar now and who knows what time will do to them.

I’m relatively new at this and enjoy the experience of my preferences changing and evolving. It’s also fun to try a blend I didn’t care for periodically through time.

Whatever floats your boat or finds your lost remote.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had one or two holiday blends that were over-flavored with flavoring that produced chemical burns. They really stung. So, no more of those. And there are some blends that are simply too mild or somewhat harsh. I don't mind a little edge, but I don't want much. If I don't like it, I don't smoke it, so the reaction never rises to animosity.

Most blends get better when I learn them. Sometimes I start out not liking a blend much, and then, after a few bowls, or after a hiatus and a reconsideration, I get the hang of it. Iwan Ries Three Star Blue was like that for me. First pouch a definite maybe; second pouch a year later, a whole new day.