PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
It seems a bit silly to me. If the fans paid the money to be there they can enjoy it how they wish. Doesn’t really bother me that people feel the need to document it. Most of the time the videos are terrible quality but that might be why Dylan is doing this. He might feel that people won’t come to his shows if they can see it for free on YouTube.
Personally I feel they distract me from the performance so when I do go to a concert I might snap off a picture but for the most part the phone is in my pocket.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It seems a bit silly to me. If the fans paid the money to be there they can enjoy it how they wish. Doesn’t really bother me that people feel the need to document it. Most of the time the videos are terrible quality but that might be why Dylan is doing this. He might feel that people won’t come to his shows if they can see it for free on YouTube.
Personally I feel they distract me from the performance so when I do go to a concert I might snap off a picture but for the most part the phone is in my pocket.
That's why he's Bob Dylan and you're not.
I'm not sure what that means, but there you go.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
my feelings on it are firstly the genie is out of the bottle and you can't shove it back in. The irony is it actually helps that people make videos of concerts. I'll put it this way you're not going to skip seeing Dylan because you can watch it on youtube. But watching it will make you more aware of the fact the guy is out and touring. Plus at his age it's great that people can document what might be some of his last shows.
Bottom line though he can ban whatever he wants at his concerts and the smart bit is it makes it easier to kick someone out if they're filming in a way that will detract from other peoples experiences.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Shrug. I don’t have any bandwidth left to think about it or feel strongly one way or the other. The 2020s have left me depleted and it’s about all I can do to manage work, family, chores and this forum whilst enjoying my evening pipe. Maybe a a few stupid YouTube videos. Otherwise I’m just too shattered to give much attention to the happenings outside my zone. Pathetic perhaps but it is what it is,

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
It's definitely a bit silly, perhaps overboard. Not really all thay surprising either.
However, I will say as someone who goes to concerts very frequently: It's such an odd thing to look around and see so many people watching the show through their phone. Not just taking a picture or a short video. But throughout the whole show, I see so many people who constantly have their phone out essentially watching the show via their phone. It's the weirdest thing

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I'd also implement a hard ban on singing along loudly.

I feel like purchasing a ticket should allow me the ability to be entertained peaceably and focus on the stage.
Granted, I rarely attend concerts large enough to necessitate tickets and reserved seating, but the last time I went to one was a nightmare.
The audience was 85% young women and pert near every last one sang along loudly (and poorly) to almost every song. I was there to hear the artist, not Jennifer/Jessica/Amanda.

Looking around and seeing hundreds or thousands of outstretched arms holding a bright light amidst a performance can be just as distracting as the warbling voices.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I LOVE Bob Dylan............. The man, to me, is a genius............
I remember not too much in the distant past, when Bob REFUSED to have any of his stuff on you-tube. Someone would post one of his songs and in a couple of days it would be removed..........

Then, Bob got smart, he figured out that if you "can't beat 'em, join 'em"........ Now he has his own BD channel, and is reaping in the spoils.......

But, to the point........ If I was a performer, I think all the phones held out at arms length, would be a great annoyance, especially someone of Bob's age..........

I get it, but I think Bob's going a bit too far on this................ and I'm one of Bob's biggest fans....... absolutely adore him, he's as American as apple pie...........

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I LOVE Bob Dylan............. The man, to me, is a genius............
I remember not too much in the distant past, when Bob REFUSED to have any of his stuff on you-tube. Someone would post one of his songs and in a couple of days it would be removed..........

Then, Bob got smart, he figured out that if you "can't beat 'em, join 'em"........ Now he has his own BD channel, and is reaping in the spoils.......

But, to the point........ If I was a performer, I think all the phones held out at arms length, would be a great annoyance, especially someone of Bob's age..........

I get it, but I think Bob's going a bit too far on this................ and I'm one of Bob's biggest fans....... absolutely adore him, he's as American as apple pie...........
My favorite Bob Dylan fact is that he made a noise complaint against his neighbors. Frankly I'd feel kind of proud in a weird way that he paid me a little bit of attention and bad for being a bad neighbor.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I have to admit that the only shows I have seen in the last few years are Dylan and Leon Russell. Outdoors from the audience perhaps the phones aren’t as intrusive, but I think it can really spoil a theater setting for the audience and cannot imagine how it would play from the performers side. I have to think putting the phone down for a bit has to be a good thing. The Dylan show I just saw/heard was enchanting and people getting up even between songs disturbed the magic, so I have to say I think the restriction is a positive.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I have to admit that the only shows I have seen in the last few years are Dylan and Leon Russell. Outdoors from the audience perhaps the phones aren’t as intrusive, but I think it can really spoil a theater setting for the audience and cannot imagine how it would play from the performers side. I have to think putting the phone down for a bit has to be a good thing. The Dylan show I just saw/heard was enchanting and people getting up even between songs disturbed the magic, so I have to say I think the restriction is a positive.
I'd agree, Bengel................. I just thought to myself how much more enjoyable a show would be without hundreds of outstretched arms held overhead with the cell-phone clutched........... Old School Cool would be nice, just sit there and enjoy the show..........

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I would argue that his songs are his intellectual property. He makes his living by doing what he does. So, if I can watch a YouTube video of his concert and not have to buy a ticket or pay to listen to his songs it is basically stealing from him as a performer yes? Just sayin?.
Last time I checked, this is still a free market economy

Reactions: kcghost and Bengel

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I would argue that his songs are his intellectual property. He makes his living by doing what he does. So, if I can watch a YouTube video of his concert and not have to buy a ticket or pay to listen to his songs it is basically stealing from him as a performer yes? Just sayin?.
Last time I checked, this is still a free market economy
except who is not going to a concert cause they saw it on youtube (unless it's amazing how bad it is), but legally he's in the right. Now albums and recordings yeah youtube could take food out of his bank money from his mouth.

Reactions: kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
except who is not going to a concert cause they saw it on youtube (unless it's amazing how bad it is), but legally he's in the right. Now albums and recordings yeah youtube could take food out of his bank money from his mouth.
True sir! But I’m saying that as a mechanic, if someone does a video of me doing a repair and I did not post the video myself or authorize it then I loose business on the same repairs because everybody watches a YouTube video on how it’s done then what is my skill, training or investments I have made in myself worth? I get it……nobody escapes the interwebs nowadays

Reactions: Bengel