Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

C

carolinasmokes

I'm a billiard smoker (straight stem) and looking to branch out a little, like trying a straight stem Pot shape. The bowl diameter is not much more than the billiards I smoke, putting aside the weight difference the shape really appeals to me all of a sudden. I'm thinking of adding one to my rotation. Do you own a Pot or smoke a Pot shaped pipe? Your thoughts and opinions much appreciated. Thanks.

Just as not all billiards are the same sizes and dimensions, pot-shaped pipes come in all varieties of sizes also. The pot-shaped pipes that I like are around .95"-1" wide and 1"-1.25" deep, which is very different from the billiards I have, which are in the .75"-.85" range. It just depends.

I like to shop for variety in widths and depths, but I think what attracts me to most pots is the thickness of the chamber walls, which can vary also.

Mostly with pipe styles, is just what style or fashion of pipe you prefer.

C

carolinasmokes

Just as not all billiards are the same sizes and dimensions, pot-shaped pipes come in all varieties of sizes also. The pot-shaped pipes that I like are around .95"-1" wide and 1"-1.25" deep, which is very different from the billiards I have, which are in the .75"-.85" range. It just depends.

I like to shop for variety in widths and depths, but I think what attracts me to most pots is the thickness of the chamber walls, which can vary also.

Mostly with pipe styles, is just what style or fashion of pipe you prefer.
The pot I am considering is a .82 diameter x 1.21 depth, my billiards run .77 diameter x 1.33 depth. Pretty close I'd say for my smoking preferences in a pipe. It does have nice thick walls. My billiards weigh in at about 1.4 oz/40g, the pot I'm looking at weighs in at 1.9 oz/52g. Pondering...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like pots straight and bent, traditional cylindrical and otherwise -- like the Sixten Iversson design done for Stanwell that is sort of a half-tomato shape, but called a pot, shape 95 I think. Pots that have a little broader bowl I find especially good for blends with a number of tobaccos, like four or more, in terms of getting all of the constituents glowing in the ember at once so you can taste them. I know some people don't like the plain Jane aspect of the traditional pot shape, but finish and flow in design balance that objection, and sometimes a very basic looking pipe has an appeal of its own. So yes, pot shape pipes are good.

The pot I am considering is a .82 diameter x 1.21 depth, my billiards run .77 diameter x 1.33 depth. Pretty close I'd say for my smoking preferences in a pipe. It does have nice thick walls. My billiards weigh in at about 1.4 oz/40g, the pot I'm looking at weighs in at 1.9 oz/52g. Pondering...
Yeh, .77 - .82 is not much of a difference, especially with some cake. At that point, ask yourself whether the pipe is attractive to you.

C

carolinasmokes

Yeh, .77 - .82 is not much of a difference, especially with some cake. At that point, ask yourself whether the pipe is attractive to you.
And if it's going to be comfortable to clench, the 52g weight concerns me a lot, as I like to clench when I smoke a pipe.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
52 is under 2oz's. I wouldn't write it off for clenching, even if it is a straight.
I only clench, and my limit is under 3oz's for straights, and 4 oz's for certain bent shapes, because bents can have a whole different balancing thing going on. Some bent 3's are too heavy, because of where the bend is, and some 4oz pipes rest just fine from my clench... it is just experience that will help you find your range in bents.

But, the whole under 2oz thing just makes it easier to discuss in a forum, but that's not a hard fast rule. You'll figure all of that out with experience. YMMV

C

carolinasmokes

52 is under 2oz's. I wouldn't write it off for clenching, even if it is a straight.
I only clench, and my limit is under 3oz's for straights, and 4 oz's for certain bent shapes, because bents can have a whole different balancing thing going on. Some bent 3's are too heavy, because of where the bend is, and some 4oz pipes rest just fine from my clench... it is just experience that will help you find your range in bents.

But, the whole under 2oz thing just makes it easier to discuss in a forum, but that's not a hard fast rule. You'll figure all of that out with experience. YMMV
Thank you sir, I very much appreciate your input.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My first pipe was a pot from Tinder Box, a smooth bent St. Ives, sourced from a French pipe maker. It has a vertical saddle stem and is still a handsome good-smoking pipe. How can I not like a pot shape? And it's a sitter, about 40 years old by now.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Some say, these are the finest smoking pipes, ever made.
:)

18609611-orig.jpg

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Pots have grown on me lately. I agree with everything that's been said. There is just something about its utilitarian looks and once you smoke one you'll understand why it's a classic shape. On that note don't be afraid to try a full on .9 or 1" diameter. In my opinion they smoke a little differently and the tobacco can "breathe" differently. Might pick up some different flavors from blends.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I own one pot and am not really a fan of them. They look too short compared to my Billiards and other shapes. I like a pipe that is 2.00 inches minimum bowl height and a bowl depth minimum of 1.5 inches.

The one pot I do own smokes fine but is too short of a smoke for my tastes. My one pot is a Brian Ruthenberg and has a nice grain and looks good but I just never reach for it. I will be selling it on my next trimming down of the last few pipes I will be moving out.

Ha ha, pots are also the hardest to find on eBay. I wish they were called something else, because when you do a search for "pot pipes" 'pot shaped pipes" or even "pot shaped tobacco pipes," all I get are lists and lists of pot paraphernalia. I'm not even sure what terms to use when doing searches for them on there.