PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I would like to explore the VA free sector a bit.
Please share your findings.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Motzek's Tom's Dark Twist, Gawith Kendal Kentucky, Peretti's Tashkent, Uhle's 00, Aged Burley Flake, Wessex Burley slice, McClelland Classic Samsun.
If I recall correctly Brebbia Balka and Sillem's London don't have Virginia either, never had those though.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Just ordered from Uhle's about 6-8 weeks ago through their online store. But the website has been taken down evidently. I wonder if they've gone out of business or just transitioning somehow. I don't think anyone else sold the Uhle's brand.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I just called Uhle's... They seemed to be unaware that the site was down. In Milwaukee anyway.
Uhle's is one of my favorite places. A great place for Burley's. I like crushed white burley. A lot of people seem to like perfection plug also.
Peretti's also has some terrific Burley's. Try #52.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
HU Daddy Gefftl - Dark Fired Kentucky, unflavored Black Cavendish and just a touch of Latakia rounded off with a tradition Euro top dressing. Damn fine blend!
C&D Crooner heavy handed deer tongue but makes for a great smoke.
Semois
It's pretty rare to find a blend that doesn't have Virginia in it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tabac-Manil Semois thick and medium cut, burley variants from Belgium, and a number of other burley blends. I like Virginias, Va/Per, English and Balkan blends, and now a number of tobacco forward aromatics as well, but burley to me is a kind of tobacco home place. I grew up with my dad smoking Granger more or less all day, and apparently it imprinted, although I like many burleys and burley blends more than the current blend of Granger.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I consider Cornell & Diehl the current "home church" of burley blends, though some other blenders do excellently well with specific burley blends. Some of the C&D blends also contain Virginias, but many don't. C&D just has an excellent feel for burley, how to use it, how to proportion it with other tobaccos, and when to leave it to its own glory. I feel McClellands has the same sort of command with Virginias. But there is plenty of artistry to go around even without those two sources. Ulhe's does good burley blends, Russ O. does, Peretti does. Sample around, the delights are many.

Status
Not open for further replies.