PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Now the season is changing... slowly. Here in Las Vegas the over night lows are no longer in the 90s and the daily highs are beginning to drop below 100F.
As an aromatic fan it's the time of year that I stock up on Cornell&Diehl's Autumn Evening and Sutliff's Pumpkin Spice. To me they're great aromatics that conjure up the feeling of temperatures cooling, foliage readying for winter, and wonderful nights watching horror films or Halloween specials. I plan on picking up some of Straus Tobacconists Sleepy Hollow when I make a trip to Cincinnati in two weeks. Maybe this blend will be added to the list.
What blends do you transition to this time of year?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Those temps sound Hellish!
Hahaha. The dead of summer highs in Vegas are around 105-110 usually. We get a week or two where it doesn't drop under 110 and we typically have a day or two around 115F. That time of year the overnight lows are generally higher than the daily highs back east.
After living here a while the blood thins out and 100F isn't so bad. We also have very low humidity, usually around 10-15%. Once it gets over 105F though it doesn't matter what the humidity is, it's HOT.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I for one don't transition or change with the seasons... I tend to smoke the same tobaccos all year long... Of course I don't smoke aro's so basically it's Lat bombs all year round, I will say I relax allot more when the weather cools down and that in itself changes the tobacco for me.

P

pipebuddy

Seasons do not influence me in my choice of tobaccos. I really go with what I feel like smoking.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I find myself reaching for heavy Latakia blends at night in the winter. The Kentucky's in the autumn. And heavy Virginias and vapers in the summer. Mind you these would be the heavier blends of the bunch. I live near no ocean, however I like escudo on rainy days and I like Any Frog Morton when I sit by the hearth in the winter. I think the tobacco you choose is more compared to what you are doing. Like right now I'm gonna eat breakfast and maybe have some golden sliced on this lovely day.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
This is my first Autumn (my favorite season) as a pipe smoker, but I'm hooked on heavy Latakia, so will stick with it.

On high temps and humidity - I hear that dry heat isn't as bad. Here in MN if it's 80 or above, it's a sauna. Give me 65 year round, and I'd be happy.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I agree the humidity in MN can get pretty sticky......however today's high in mid 60s with a nice fall breeze. Looks like a great weekend as well.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I smoke more Balkan blends in the Fall and Winter and also transition to

darker Va's like Astley's #44 DVF, SG FVF and McC's Dark Star, Blackwoods Flake and Xmas Cheer.
Same with beer ... lagers, ales and ipa's when warm. Ambers, porters and stouts when cooler.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Same with beer ... lagers, ales and ipa's when warm. Ambers, porters and stouts when cooler.
I tend to follow this trend as well for the most part.
I still smoke my warm weather blends in the colder climes but I also get into the Lat blends and English blends more when it turns cooler I don't enjoy them as much in the heat of summer. I like the Autumn Evening as well but have not tried Pumpkin Spice, I will have to give it a go though. :puffy:

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
What, no one's mentioned Christmas Cookie yet? Maybe a partial tin of Peterson's Nutty Cut around Christmas time is the only change for me. I think I have a half tin jarred up since last yr.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Christmas Cookie?? Do tell. :)
It's an aro (classified as an unknown) from Boswell. Available year around & not just at Christmas time, I ordered a couple of ounces once when reordering some Northwoods. Lots of people like it & the room note is quite nice during that time of the yr when the house is closed up due to the weather. I just found the taste to be a little too artificial & sweet for me. YMMV.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2953/boswell-pipes-tobacco-christmas-cookie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not much on seasonal preference in blends. I'll smoke heavy English and non-aro burley blends in summer, spring, fall and winter. Also, I enjoy some milder blends any time of year. But in point of fact, I just put out some PS Luxury Bullseye Flake to dry. That's what I'm planning. Right now I'm smoking some MB Modern Virginia.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I used to smoke much more seasonally, turning to latakia blends in the cooler temps. Now I just find it's a slightly different way to enjoy Virginias, although I do have a few lighter latakia mixes on deck.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Might be a good time for something like Nightcap.
Also not a bad time for VaPers, as the pipes will cool faster when those Va sugars start blasting.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'm addicted to McClelland's Deep Hollow come the warm yet cooler weather of fall. I have a large tin of it that I'm getting ready to crack open. Need to smoke some more of my on hand tobacco first.

Status
Not open for further replies.