Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I got a good idea from member @jpmcwjr , he suggested starting a new thread and this time when we post something that we are watching, or watched, we rate it so others can get an idea.

Now we don't need to do in depth reviews, just a simple rating system. It will be a 1 to 5 rating system.

1= Crap/Did not Like
through
5=Must Watch/Loved It

I will start a new thread with this same post in it to start it off fresh.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
5. Five,
Star Leaf. A 2115 science fiction movie. My third time watching it. (Netflix) From the “cover” I expected a stoner movie or straight science fiction or even a Cheech and Chong type movie. It is none of these and does not fit easily into any one genre.

It has humor, suspense and some rather deep thoughts.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I watch almost no TV at all, but I've watched this clip twice now of Ricky Gervais' opening monologue at the 2020 Golden Globe awards because I just cannot believe this actually happened.

I know nothing about Gervais, but I give him 5 stars for the fact that he actually said all of this on live TV to a room chock-full of the Hollywood elite.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Narcos on Netflix. I'd definitely give it a 5.

It's about the story of the American DEA agents who went after Pablo Escobar and the Medellin drug cartel.

Apparently he was bringing in $420 million a week and because they couldn't launder all the money they would bury pallets full of it in fields and in old barns.
According to Pablo's chief accountant:

"Pablo was earning so much that each year we would write off 10% of the money because the rats would eat it in storage or it would be damaged by water or lost."

That would be about $2.1 billion, given how much money he was reportedly making. :oops:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I watch almost no TV at all, but I've watched this clip twice now of Ricky Gervais' opening monologue at the 2020 Golden Globe awards because I just cannot believe this actually happened.

I know nothing about Gervais, but I give him 5 stars for the fact that he actually said all of this on live TV to a room chock-full of the Hollywood elite.

Yea Hollywood deserved that. Ha ha ha Fucking Hilarious. Did you see Tom Hanks face? The clip I saw of Hanks was disgusting. Pompous ass. Hanks Playing Hanks for 35 years! ????*Its a Joke!

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Watching the Second Episode in Disney Plus' exclusive "The Imagineering Story". The series gives a look into the artistic processes and engineering behind the creation of Disney Parks world wide. If you are a Disney fan, artists, or casual documentary fan I highly suggest it.

Reactions: litup

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Yesterday I watched Whisky Galore (1949) the original, not the 2016 remake. Plenty of pipe smoking and whiskey drinking. Comedy/Crime story. I'll give it a 4.

During World War II, the small Scottish island of Todday is suffering from the most terrible thing they believe could’ve happened; a wartime shortage of whisky! Fortunately for the islanders, a ship carrying the precious liquid is wrecked on a reef, and it’s up to some enterprising locals to rescue the shipment before British revenue officials confiscate the cargo!

Inspired by the S.S. Politician, which sank outside Scotland in 1941, carrying 250,000 bottles of whisky.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I watched The Highwaymen on Netflix a few weeks ago and that was brilliant. It was my second favourite movie I saw last year after Joker.

It's about the two Texas Rangers who came out of retirement to hunt down Bonnie & Clyde.
Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson play the two Rangers.
It was interesting to see a film that was from the perspective of the lawmen who had to find them.
Definitely a 5 from me.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My thoughts exactly. It could of been better. I still enjoyed it, but I wouldn't watch it again.

Definitely could have been done much better. Very cool premise, great cinematography (especially with a measly $4M budget) but not the best execution.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I recently watched a Ministry Of Information film that was shown to GI's when they arrived in England during the Second World War.
Burgess Meredith plays the guide handing out the do's and don'ts. I really liked the bit where he shows you how to behave in an English pub. An example of what not to do is a particularly loud mouthed, braggadocious, boorish GI.
He comes in and basically insults the entire pub. From telling people he and his family have steak everyday for breakfast back home, insulting the two gents playing shove ha'penny by telling them it's a 'girls game' to calling the Scots soldiers kilts 'skirts' and tickling the barmaid under her chin with a "hiya babe what ya doing tonight" and calling her a "hot tomato" it's just one faux pas after another :LOL:.

There's also a bit with two old boys smoking pipes at the bar, Burgess calls them a couple of philosophers :).

Anyway it's well worth a watch and I'd definitely give it 5 out of 5.
Oh and please remember if you do visit Britain and go in a pub, absolutely NO tickling the barmaid under her chin! It's just not on you know.

Last edited:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I recently watched a Ministry Of Information film that was shown to GI's when they arrived in England during the Second World War.
Burgess Meredith plays the guide handing out the do's and don'ts. I really liked the bit where he shows you how to behave in an English pub. An example of what not to do is a particularly loud mouthed, braggadocious, boorish GI.
He comes in and basically insults the entire pub. From telling people he and his family have steak everyday for breakfast back home, insulting the two gents playing shove ha'penny by telling them it's a 'girls game' to calling the Scots soldiers kilts 'skirts' and tickling the barmaid under her chin with a "hiya babe what ya doing tonight" and calling her a "hot tomato" it's just one faux pas after another :LOL:.

There's also a bit with two old boys smoking pipes at the bar, Burgess calls them a couple of philosophers :).

Anyway it's well worth a watch and I'd definitely give it 5 out of 5.
Oh and please remember if you do visit Britain and go in a pub, absolutely NO tickling the barmaid under her chin! It's just not on you know.

Definitely worth watching.
Remember soldiers to keep your money away from Bob Hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.