PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Severance in Apple TV

excellent series that just ended season one. Beneficial for those that like to binge.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
It was Errol Flynn on TCM last night and into the early morning:

The Charge Of The Light Brigade - plays fast and loose with the history (and even says so at the beginning so that was interesting). 5*

The Private Lives Of Elizabeth and Essex - dumb and unwatchable. 2*

Fell asleep 30 minutes in and forgot to dvr a couple of good ones, but woke up a 5 a.m. and . . . saw most of

Another Dawn - love triangle, Errol gets Kay Francis (man she was something!) who married his now commanding officer on the rebound from her fiancé pilot being killed and then the C.O. takes off in a plane at the end on a suicide mission so those two can be together, lol (so now she's lost two loves in plane crashes and Errol is also a pilot - what a future). Stiff upper lip stuff. Funny thing, the fort is one of the same forts from The Charge Of The Light Brigade (assuming the two forts in that movie were different and not sure they were, haha). Good for what it is. 4*

Green Light - medical soap opera - based on a book by Lloyd Douglas (yep, the Magnificent Obsession book that was a movie with Rock Hudson becoming a surgeon to restore the eyesight of Jane Wyman that he had caused her to lose) - this one doesn't get quite as carried away with Douglas' preachy messages and messengers, but Flynn is the man of principle almost dying to save us from ticks. Good for what it is and mostly the beautiful Irish Setter (who does NOT die or is ever in peril). 4*

Tonight late - The Seven Ups - whoo! I've always liked this movie - Roy Scheider in a much better role and cooler car than The French Connection. 5*

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My boxset of 'Alistair Cooke's America' arrived this morning.

It is 10 hours + 50 minutes spread over 4 discs.

I vaguely recall watching some episodes back in the day but much better recall Alistair's 'Letter From America' weekly radio programme and that was always top notch. It ran for 58 years so that should speak for itself.

The DVD set is Cooke's take on America as seen through his eyes from the first European settlers up to the early 1970's. I remember well his smooth and calm voice and the way he spoke to you, kind of like an avuncular figure.

I have not watched it yet but have no doubt this will be a 9/10 for me.

For those too young to remember, Alistair Cooke was a Brit who settled in America, he died 2004 aged 95.

Regards,

Jay.

cooke.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Watched Americans in Paris and GiGi on the Turner cable station. The narrative of Americans in Paris is anemic but a good carrier for the superlative dance routines imaginatively choreographed by Gene Kelly.

GiGi is lavish and charming, but with some really creepy undertones of Lolita and older guys grooming young girls for mistresses or brides, brides being the American puritanical preference in this plot. But it certainly reads differently in our day and time that it did in the 1950's.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Did the existing thread get locked?
The Good Place on Netflix. Ted Danson isn't ruining it with his terrible acting... yet. He is actually really funny. I am only four or five episodes in, but it is cracking me up. 4.5/5
Yes, it did. Someone must have complained, or it was locked in error. Anyhoooo, we have a new one as you've found.
The Good Place. Lightweight, amusing, some interesting concepts. I enjoyed it, but give it 4/5.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Reprising my Winds of War DVDs began last night. My wife, who is the daughter of a WW II P -51 pilot, and I have to see this miniseries at least once a year. Clearly a 5 out of 5 rating from us. Having also read the book, Robert Mitchum is Pug Henry for me.

Just checked and it's not streaming anywhere just now. Darn!

And Ali McGraw with Mitchum! Haven't seen nor thought of her since Love Story (1970!) That's more than a half-C!!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.