PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Also have this new series on tap with Michael Chiklis, Coyote, reported to be a sort-of continuation to The Shield."

Al, I just finished watching The Shield box set in November, what a superb action packed series that was too......easily a 9/10. It was followed by The Wire box set, a miserable 2/10 ?

Regards,

Jay.?

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Shield is now streaming on Hulu, all seven seasons.

It's on my list.
You will not regret watching The Shield, it's one that seems to fly under the radar a bit but is right up there with OZ, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos.

Michael Chiklis is brilliant in it as officer Vic Mackey.
"Good cop and bad cop have left for the day. I'm a different kind of cop."

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched the 3rd series of Cobra Kai on Netflix.

I thought it was pretty good, not up to the standard of the excellent first series but still worth watching.
I really like William Zabka's performance as Johnny Lawrence, he's just so no nonsense old school and some of his dialogue really makes me laugh.

I was gonna give it a 3 but I'll up it half a point to 3.5/5 as it has the ever lovely Elisabeth Shue in it.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
The Highway Men, Costner in a movie that finally doesn’t praise Bonnie and Clyde, we knew of an older couple that was said to have hidden them , they were looked upon as daring hero’s, but they were murderes, good movie.
I haven’t watched the film, but I’ve listened to a True crime podcast complaining it’s about as accurate as the 1967 Beatty/Dunaway film.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"seems to fly under the radar a bit but is right up there with OZ, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos."

Regards Oz Chris, we must differ. I bought the box set late last year but didn't get passed series 1 as it was so painful to watch. Far too much male on male sex for my liking, plus the storylines were incredibly thin and predictable in my view. For example, prisoner has the hots for a female warder, arranges for her husband to be killed then starts an illicit relationship with said warder! £32 down the drain ?

That said, Breaking Bad was excellent and I have the box set of Sopranos in my waiting to watch pile ?

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
"seems to fly under the radar a bit but is right up there with OZ, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos."

Regards Oz Chris, we must differ. I bought the box set late last year but didn't get passed series 1 as it was so painful to watch. Far too much male on male sex for my liking, plus the storylines were incredibly thin and predictable in my view. For example, prisoner has the hots for a female warder, arranges for her husband to be killed then starts an illicit relationship with said warder! £32 down the drain ?

That said, Breaking Bad was excellent and I have the box set of Sopranos in my waiting to watch pile ?

Regards,

Jay.?
I'll admit that there is a fair bit of gay sex and male rape in OZ and it is pretty violent but I loved it, I've watched it 3 times and it never gets old. J. K. Simmons portrayal of the arian/white supremacist leader Vern Schillinger is just amazing, I love his dialogue and evil ways. Not that I agree with his politics or world view of course it's just such a brilliant character. Shame you didn't like it but it's horses for courses I suppose?

I'm sure you'll love The Sopranos, I don't recall anyone I know not liking that. You've probably seen it before but Hill Street Blues is available for free on the Channel 4 catch up service, I re-watched it again last year and it still holds up some 35 years later.

I'm currently binge watching Only Fools And Horses and The Sweeney again, both are 5/5 in my book. 2 great series and made before PC culture started to ruin everything.

All the best, mate.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
NCIS New Orleans & Los Angeles , too bad they are sticking political stuff in there. Was great all previous years.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Just finished watching Night Stalker on Netflix. One of the better documentaries (mini series) that I’ve seen. Hard to rate as some might find it too graphic, but I’d say 4/5.
View attachment 60303
Just finished it, great series. What a total piece of shit he was. I liked how they focused on his victims and the two supercops that tracked him down instead of glorifying him or trying to make him out to be the boogeyman.

Reactions: Devil Anse and STP

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Just finished a rewatch of Reno 911. Working my way through The Twilight Zone now. Just started The Watch on BBC for our new Sunday night series, enjoying it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.