PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2018
Athens, Greece
About 3 months ago I saw a photo of a pipe similar to this one, shame shape but different material (morta I think), other color, rustication etc. The inner voice immediately cried loud "I want it"! I wonder when will this voice be silenced. But I think I know the answer... Anyway, I called the carver and friend George Leousis from GL pipes and I explained to him my... vision of a variation, based on this pipe he posted. As he always does, George presented to me at once an improved version of my own(!) idea. And in 2 weeks he delivered.
Now, I used to call this shape "full bent", I don't know if I was right. But our Pipe Club Forum Admin informed me, that in the past, in the Greek pipe smokers "slang" these pipes were called "Captain's pipes". The reason is apparent: a sea captain could smoke a pipe like this, clenching and hanging from his mouth, perhaps resting on his chin, possibly covered with a heavy beard, while his hands were free in order to steer the ship with the wheel.
In it I am smoking SG Balkan Flake, have a good Sunday good people!

SG Balkan Flake - GL pipe.JPG

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
About 3 months ago I saw a photo of a pipe similar to this one, shame shape but different material (morta I think), other color, rustication etc. The inner voice immediately cried loud "I want it"! I wonder when will this voice be silenced. But I think I know the answer... Anyway, I called the carver and friend George Leousis from GL pipes and I explained to him my... vision of a variation, based on this pipe he posted. As he always does, George presented to me at once an improved version of my own(!) idea. And in 2 weeks he delivered.
Now, I used to call this shape "full bent", I don't know if I was right. But our Pipe Club Forum Admin informed me, that in the past, in the Greek pipe smokers "slang" these pipes were called "Captain's pipes". The reason is apparent: a sea captain could smoke a pipe like this, clenching and hanging from his mouth, perhaps resting on his chin, possibly covered with a heavy beard, while his hands were free in order to steer the ship with the wheel.
In it I am smoking SG Balkan Flake, have a good Sunday good people!

View attachment 248678
Nice pipe Christos
I had a similar one - an Italian Lorenzo which I bought in 1974 when I worked in Auckland, NZ
I never knew what that shape was called
I loved the way it hung, and that it was a sitter
I gave it away a few years ago. Regrettably.
Thinking I needed to make room for more pipes cray

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Finished work, fed my cats and the ferals, emptied the dishwasher, and smoked a bowl of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.