PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
The opinion on them varies, KB&B brought them out in the late 1890’s and the general consensus seems that they were putting the KB&B logo on them after that, mine doesn’t have that logo. I know KB&B took out a patent on the name in 1919 and it think that’s when it was absorbed by them so the name couldn’t be used by other makers. It’s one of those things where there’s a lot of opinion but little evidence unfortunately.

It is frustrating, isn’t it? I believe the trademark was registered on October 9, 1917. Bill Feuerbach believes Kaufmann, Bros. & Bondy phased C.P.F. out around 1915—a 1924 KB&B catalog shows KB&B Chesterfields (maybe Yello-Bole, too?) I have a C.P.F. Chesterfield and KB&B Chesterfield—I don’t think I have one stamped with both logos (though, I’d have to poke around to be sure). The window of production is most nebulous. I have some C.P.F. pipes with Redmanol/Bakelite stems; I believe Redmanol was formed around 1913—in 1922, the Redmanol Company, the Condensite Company of America, and General Bakelite were consolidated into the Bakelite Corporation. So, whenever I list some of my Colossus Pipe Factory pipes, I usually write “circa 1921” to bridge the window between 1915 and 1924. I wish there were more details with regard to the timeline with the Grand Street and 17th addresses KB&B had.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
It is frustrating, isn’t it? I believe the trademark was registered on October 9, 1917. Bill Feuerbach believes Kaufmann, Bros. & Bondy phased C.P.F. out around 1915—a 1924 KB&B catalog shows KB&B Chesterfields (maybe Yello-Bole, too?) I have a C.P.F. Chesterfield and KB&B Chesterfield—I don’t think I have one stamped with both logos (though, I’d have to poke around to be sure). The window of production is most nebulous. I have some C.P.F. pipes with Redmanol/Bakelite stems; I believe Redmanol was formed around 1913—in 1922, the Redmanol Company, the Condensite Company of America, and General Bakelite were consolidated into the Bakelite Corporation. So, whenever I list some of my Colossus Pipe Factory pipes, I usually write “circa 1921” to bridge the window between 1915 and 1924. I wish there were more details with regard to the timeline with the Grand Street and 17th addresses KB&B had.
I couldn’t agree more, it’s frustrating when you spend hours reading info trying to date a pipe and end up with more questions than answers 🤯

Status
Not open for further replies.